Ford 302 timing

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Ford 302 timing

Post by amulheirn »

Hi all -

Just wondered what your thoughts were on timing settings for a Ford 302? How do you normally go about it?

I'm an amateur here, so advice appreciated. I tried 13* before TDC base timing, and that worked but pinked under load. Trying 8* base timing now and that seems a lot better, though it cut out once for some reason. I'm setting these values at idle with the vacuum advance plugged and using a timing light.

Not got as far as checking total timing, but I will look into that when I have time. Have been reading this as a useful reference because there's a lot of misinformation out there: https://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/03/timing/

Cheers and happy Easter,

Andy
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Ford 302 timing

Post by StewbieC »

amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks - I'll check it out.
Took the car for a test run to buy some easter eggs. I think they melted on the way back in the passenger footwell!
Other than that, it was a success.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew,
You will only know an accurate figure by having it on a rolling road to prove what is best for the engine taking in to account the design of cam, heads and distributor curve.
Sounds like you are around the ball park figure needed although melting Easter Eggs is hardly indicative of too much advance on the ignition.
I know mine is a Rover but I think the numbers are not that much different. I ran the engine in for 1500 miles at the basic cooking engine level e.g. only 6 Degrees. On the rolling road it was then timed it at max advance ( 32 ?) at 5500 rpm which then equated to 12 degrees at idle with the carb vac tube blocked off.
You could increase from 8 to 10 and see if it picks under load. You need to be careful that you are not having too much advance and it’s not correct for your setup but you can’t hear the pinking.
One of the Ford guys could probably indicate what advance they use but that can only be used a guide.
Peter C
frats289

Post by frats289 »

Andy
I have a mildly tuned 289 in mine and the rolling road guys set it up at 4deg BTDC on idle and 38deg BTDC at full vac advance. Standard cam., 625 Carter, ported etc.Seems to go OK...
Frank
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Frank - thanks for that. (And thanks to you too Peter!).

That's much less than I thought, so maybe that is the root of my issue. In the end, I took Gerry's recommendation to take it to Big Al at http://www.thunderroadspeedshop.co.uk to see if they can fettle it for me. Just need it working well for the trip to Stoneleigh for the kit car show.

Cheers,
Andy