Inner tie-rod balljoint

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Karl

Inner tie-rod balljoint

Post by Karl »

Has somebody had the problem of too much free play in that joint? (MG B steering in Hawk).
I need to open up and check.
Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Inner tie-rod balljoint

Post by clive »

Hi Karl, I'm not sure which joint you are referring to. I have replaced a track-rod end a good few years ago and I had to replace the complete steering rack last summer prior to my Silverstone trip.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Karl

Post by Karl »

The inner track rod end Clive, where it connects to the rack.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Inside the rubber?
Special customized BRA289
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Do you mean items 22 and 23 in the attached diagram? If so, there is no sign of play there in my old rack. The play I had was with the Rack Housing Bush (item 75) in the diagram. The play is so severe that if you rock the rack at one end the play is visible at the other.

Cheers, Clive.

Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes, 22 to 23, in that area. I have to dismantle it, take the gaiter off to see what is happening, but I have to finish another car off first which is on the car lift now. I was just curious if somebody has had the same problem. Normally there is only a problem if the spring breaks or the adjusting nuts work loose, which normally does not happen. We will see when I can have a look at it!
Migge: There is no rubber in that area
Migge

Post by Migge »

For me the gaitor is rubber.
Special customized BRA289
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi clive,
had a chance today to work on the car. Seems I have the same problem like you, inner tie rod ends are okay, play(very much LHS) is because the rack bushes are worn nearly away. I have already taken the complete rack out from the car. Did you try to repair your rack or just put a new one in?
I disassembled what I could, still have to find out how to disconnect at least one inner tie rod joint so that the inner rack can come out of the housing.
Regards
Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl,

I replaced the complete rack as I didn't have much time to refurbish the original and it was only a few days before Silverstone. Gerry supplied me with one, but I forgot that you need to shorten the one he supplies! I still have my original, but so far haven't got round to refurbishing it.
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Out of interest do you think this is caused by poor greasing. E.g should we be pulling off the gaiters each end and trying to get more grease in there?
We are otherwise reliant on what they did during its initial assembly during manufacture.
Peter C