Drivetrain noise

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Re: Drivetrain noise

Post by simonjrwinter »

Well, the GoPro thing didn’t work out, just a lot of wind noise!
It’s still driving me nuts, I’ve been under the car today (FIA with sidepipes and silencers) and found an exhaust clamp touching the body, fantastic through I, turned it round thinking that must be it but no.....also took off the L/H sidepipes as the rearmost bracket looked like it was very close to the mount, filed a bit away but nope...still there.
Thing is, if I were to describe the noise, I’d say it sounded just like an exhaust rubbing on the body/chassis or possibly the axle Diff/ prop rubbing. But I’ve been under there again and again looking at every single inch, and I’m damned if I can see anything.
I suppose I need to find someone with a ramp and have a look under neath when it’s running. ( although it doesn’t do it every time.....)

Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Incidentally, here....http://www.the289register.com/phpBB3/vi ... php?t=1402
Is a description of the noise and thoughts from the previous owner in 2012.......I guess that’s why it had only done 200 miles when I bought it....incidentally, it has a real steel engine and in amongst the bills is a line which states “spigot bearing” so I’m guessing if they charged for it, they must have fitted it.....several years ago I assembled a 302 and toploader and forgot to install the spigot bearing, it’s certainly NOT like that!
Simon
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Simon,
Can you post a picture of the cut out for the prop at the rear end of the transmission tunnel? There is a hell of a lot of travel on the MGB axle and the cut out may seem large enough for the prop, even if you have a panhard rod and anti tramp bars there's a bit of movement vertically and horizontally. My prop used to rub at 10-11 o clock (silly comments not needed) on the cut aperture edge when viewed from the front of the car. This was alleviated by cutting out a piece that, size wise, matched the hole at rear end of the tunnel. If you have a look at part 29 of my build write up there are pictures.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Thanks Stu but I’ve finally sussed it!
Had the passenger side exhaust off yesterday,relieved it in a couple of places just for safety. Today I lifted the car and double checked the drivers side. Sure enough, the silencer was pushed back on the mounting rubbers and was juuuust touching the chassis. It seems the manifold down pipe is a fraction too long and pushed the silencer back on its mounts. Once I’d removed it (manifold off as well!) I shortened it slightly and reassembled everything with some exhaust assembly paste, there is now a gap of about 1/4-1/2 an inch between the silencer and the chassis. Et voila! No noise from the drivetrain. What a relief. It’s been sooooo frustrating.
Only problem now is I can hear the squeaks and rattles from the rest of the car!
Thanks for all your advice gents, much appreciated.
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Simon,
Glad you have found and sorted the problem.
I've just had a custom exhaust fitted and I can't hear any squeaks and rattles anymore :twisted: 8)
More ground clearance and more noise :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Nice!