289 Ammeter Question

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Frank

289 Ammeter Question

Post by Frank »

Hi guys, quick question;

can anyone tell me the type of Ammeter that was fitted to the early 289 slabside cars? I think it may have been Lucas, but not sure. Was it fitted to any other car? Thanks in advance.

StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 Ammeter Question

Post by StewbieC »

Those gauges are Smiths / Lucas
The clock is the same as fitted to a Ford Zephyr, they come up occasionally on fleabay in various state of repair.
That type of fuel and ammeter are difficult to track down with the needle pointing downwards, the ammeter would have been badged as Lucas and is similar to a BM4 gauge 30-30. The oil pressure, water and oil temp gauges are standard mechanical gauges Smiths Cobra from Caerbont.
Later cars also had Stewart Warner.
To be fair only those really in the know, know what is really authentic.

Post by Frank »

Thanks StewbieC, I have two clocks already. I know they were fitted to the 427's and the 289's and the Jensen Interceptor I think. The Lucas Ammeter seems to be scarce, just wondered if it was fitted to any more regular vehicles. :)
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Frank, I think you will find that most of us with Smith's instruments actually have a voltmeter fitted but with an ammeter card. Ammeters were better suited to cars with dynamos and voltmeters for cars with alternators.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Just spotted this and thought I'd chip in.

For a RHD COB leafspring car as supplied via dealer for road use:

The ammeter is a Lucas BM4 ('back moulded' or 'Bakelite moulded', depending on who you talk to), pendant pointer with arrowhead, 30-0-30A.
The oil temp gauge is Smiths capillary, 40-140˚, part number at top of face.
The water temp gauge is Smiths capillary, 30-100˚, part number at top of face.
The fuel gauge is Smiths, pendant pointer, marked 'E-1/2-F' only on face, note baton style. Part number at top of face and no arrowhead on pointer.
The oil pressure gauge is Smiths mechanical, 0-100psi, part number at top of face.
The clock is as mentioned already, Zephyr/Zodiac, buttons at either top of bottom of bezel, both seen equally.
Speedometer and Tachometer are completely different from anything currently available aftermarket.
Speedometer is Smiths, 0-160mph, scalloped pressed face and fifties/sixties style 'drum' bossed pointer. Short metal trip knob exits at underside of casing and is loose under dash. Rivet retaining stop wire at zero is polished, not painted black. Part number below pointer boss - note position of face mounting screws.
Tachometer is Smiths, 0-100 rpm x100, scalloped pressed face and 'drum' boss to pointer, with extra pressed recess for red high beam warning light. Part number and gear ratio below pointer boss, and mounting screws close to pointer as in speedometer. Tachometer is cable-driven via a 4:1 gearbox off the back of the C40-T Lucas dynamo.
Note - both 'MADE IN UK' and 'MADE IN ENGLAND' seen on instruments with no particular pattern to this as far as I have seen.
Also note the coarse-grained slightly glossy leather used on non-padded aluminium dashboard panel - AC Cars did not use Connolly Bros hide.
IMG_6379.jpg
IMG_6380.jpg
IMG_6381.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I didn't think you could resist Roger! :lol:

You are missed. Hope you are all well.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Roger King, Many thanlks! Thats really helpful. I just wanted to have a search and its difficult to know where to begin if you dont know anything other than the guage diameters! *thumbs up*

Re: Hide - yeah I noticed this on an original AC/Shelby I once saw. Something about the way the leather on the seats had aged, just doesnt look... well, 'Connolly'.