Side Screen Ferrule Help

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
SiJackson

Side Screen Ferrule Help

Post by SiJackson »

Good morning
I hope I can tap into your collective wisdom....

I'm now at the stage of getting on with the various body finish touches prior to paint prep and i'm onto the doors. My question regards the ferrules to fit the side screens that go in the door tops. I'm not going to be using side screens as its going to be a fair weather only car (and i correct me if I'm wrong, they look to be as much use as a windscreen wiper on a goats arse), but I guess to look right I need to put the ferrules in the tops of the doors. I see they are available in 8,9 and 10mm. Which size(s) went in the door tops? And could someone provide measurements as to where in the door top they go? I know there are instructions in the build manual on how to fit the side screens, and positioning, and that is the correct way to get them to fit, but as they are not going to be used, then ball park will suffice.

Thanks in advance

Si
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Side Screen Ferrule Help

Post by StewbieC »

I find the sidescreens to be actually quite useful even without a roof on, on a long drive they cut out quite a bit of buffeting. Granted they don't look great but I would advise getting some. In some respects a soft top too. There's nothing worse than being on a trip and getting a real cloud burst. A slight bit of drizzle or a steady mild shower is one thing.
Gerry has got the correct externally threaded ferrules in stock and his build manual explains the best way of fitting or alternatively have a look at my build report thing. Home page, Building and Servicing, Building a Hawk 289 Stuart Clarke, Part 29 Project Hawk continues
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I totally agree with Stuart.
You might as well put them in the correct position as it’s most likely you will use side screens some time in the future.
The tyre noise from other vehicles makes motorways is a real pain so by adding the side screens it reduces the roar to an acceptable level. Using an foam ear plug is also useful if you are on your own but with a passenger I use an intercom system.
Of course it’s up to you but we never trust the weather forecast.
Peter C

I can guess a comment from Clive saying he keeps off the motorways.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

You guessed right Peter! One of the advantages of living up here is the lack of motorways and unless you are travelling between Edinburgh and Glasgow they are practically empty.

Personally I have never driven with the sidescreens fitted without the hood but perhaps I'll try it one day. I have never really noticed tyre noise before, but I too wear an earplug in my right ear to prevent damage from buffeting on long journeys, and if not earplugs then in-ear headphones do a good job and lets you listen to music on the move to relieve the boredom of motorway driving.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

peterc wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:40 pm I totally agree with Stuart.
You might as well put them in the correct position as it’s most likely you will use side screens some time in the future.
The tyre noise from other vehicles makes motorways is a real pain so by adding the side screens it reduces the roar to an acceptable level. Using an foam ear plug is also useful if you are on your own but with a passenger I use an intercom system.
Of course it’s up to you but we never trust the weather forecast.
Peter C

I can guess a comment from Clive saying he keeps off the motorways.
Thank you for your advice guys, but I really don't want to fit the side screens.

I guess if was concerned about noise and buffeting I would not be building a Cobra, and I don't think tyre noise from other cars is going to a factor with open unsilenced side pipes just below my elbow :D I have the Le Mans hardtop to keep the odd shower at bay, but my guess is it will leak around the edges anyway. My daily driver for the last few years has been a V8 powered Land Rover that has a canvas roof 12 months of the year, so I'm used to noise and dampness. Its no Rolls Royce, but hey, that's why we choose such a raw driving experience!

If I could just get a fairly accurate set of measurements then if I should decide to make a set of sidescreens I can tailor them to fit what I have in the doors, rather than start drilling into painted panels.

Cheers
Si
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Si,

If I were you I wouldn’t bother putting them in. Leave the door tops plain. IF you decide to go down the side screen route in future you can carefully drill through the paint. If it’s been painted properly if won’t come off in big flakes. The ferrules have small “lips” to cover the edges of the hole and if you did have any “issues” a small stainless washer would look good.
JMHO as both my Hawks are sans ferrules!
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

I could certainly supply measurements from when I fitted mine, but I think the risk is that if you did it approximately it would cause you a problem in the future if you ever did want to fit screens, or if you sold the car to someone who wanted to - because they'll be in the wrong place. The holes are drilled specific to the metal frames that Gerry provides and those have to be trimmed and tailored to suit the car and windscreen position. If you still wanted to fit I think the best way of doing so would be to make a card template from someone else's car - laid across the top edge of the door and marking the ferule positions. If you did it this way then they would probably be near enough and if you ever got side screens then probably a bit of minor filing and repositioning would tailor to screens. I fitted my side screens and hood just last autumn and I would say that with them on the car is very civilized - minimal draft, really warm with the heater on, and watertight. It is a bit of a pain to have the boot full of hood bows side screens and hood, but that said I can get in the car and drive to Silverstone this summer and irrespective of what the weather throws I know I can enjoy the whole weekend there. Oh and here's another experience - last summer was the warmest, driest and sunniest I can ever recall. I take the car for its IVA retest setting out with blue sky. !0 minutes after passing the test as I am getting on the M60 the heavens open with torrential cloudburst - so wet I can't see where I'm going even with windscreen wipers at full blast - because the rain in my face is also blinding. I pull over but can't cover up because at that stage no hood fitted. It took weeks to get the fog and condensation out of the instruments, carpets had to be removed because they were completely flooded. Dash and seat leather also developed "patina". Like you I tend to prefer to drive with the expectation of dry weather and hood down - but not keen on repeating experience - even if I gave all the motorists on M60 that afternoon had a good laugh! Let me know if I can send you the template or perhaps you can do at next club meet?
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

Thanks Jerry, measurements would be great. I just want to doors to look right and they need the ferrules to look right. IF i get side screens I would just fabriacte them from scratch rather than buy some, as I have done with many parts of the car (door internals, roll bar, tunnel, dash etc.) so can build them to fit the holes in the door. I have plenty of other options for cars if the weather is looking crook and as there are no carpets or internal trim to worry about, the odd shower whilst out and about won't matter too much. If the weather turns really bad, i'll find a bridge to hide under or just cover the full car under its tailored cover that will live in the boot. There is no heater in this car either. I'm a northerner and we are used to being wet and cold most of the time
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Si, you won’t pass an IVA test without a heater. You need to be able to demist the screen.
Peter C
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

peterc wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:18 pm Si, you won’t pass an IVA test without a heater. You need to be able to demist the screen.
Peter C
That's only a requirement if there is a screen to demist though. :D