MOT and Emissions

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

MOT and Emissions

Post by clive »

This morning I took my car for it's MOT and encountered a problem which I have read about on another forum. The testing station has new software which uses the "Date of First Registration in the UK" as the benchmark for emissions and not the "Date of First Registration" which is the date of the donor vehicle. In my case my car was tested as a 2006 car as opposed to a 1969 which is the date of the engine, and subsequently wouldn't pass as it would require cats. A quick phone call from the garage who realised the software problem, asking me for the V5C, resolved the problem but on speaking to them they will require this proof on every subsequent test. So as a word of caution, when taking your car for it's MOT, take the V5C too even if the testers know your vehicle.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
agnoraan

Re: MOT and Emissions

Post by agnoraan »

Its not supposed to be emissions tested to either first date of registration OR manufacture. It gets emissions tested to the date of the engine. If you recall, I posted up a whole raft of information re legislation that the government were trying to bring in for emissions to be tested to age if registration. People lobbied the various politicians and departments and the proposed legislation was overturned. Id say your garage doesn't understand this
Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Double post
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I always take my last test cert and the V5C whenever I go for an MOT. Saves a great deal of hassle.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I quote from The mot-testing manual,

"Kit Cars

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c does not show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test.
"

From that, I gather that you need to be careful when registering you car after IVA that the emission limits are shown on the V5c.
Cheers, Clive.

agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Cars that have been SVA'd dont always show what the emissions should be tested at on the V5. Its always best to take documentary proof of the age of engine so that it can be tested to the correct emissions for that age
Nige
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Fortunately, my V5 states ‘Visible smoke only’
Unfortunately, I forgot to take it today.
Fortunately, the tester remembered it from last year.
(To generate the test, it still had to have an emissions test, just without the car attached!)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks for the heads up guys.
Whilst I’m sure the tester knows me and the car well, I will none the less go prepared.
Now off to find the V5 especially as they have previously told me not to bother with any paperwork history.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Forewarned is forearmed! :D
Cheers, Clive.

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Me thinks it will be an interesting conversation in August.
Nothing on the V5 about emissions or smoke test only. It does however say amateur built from parts and has historic status.
No MOT emissions cert from last year but numerous ones from previous years by that same garage showing emission % not done and passed on smoke test.
At least I have a copy of the original cars 1967 logbook to prove its age and the change request to DVLA.
I will point out that he has been testing the car since 2005!
Peter C