Side Screens

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
allan horsfall
T289R Member
T289R Member

Side Screens

Post by allan horsfall » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Gentlemen

I'm back off to Greece on Thursday but when I get back, my first priority is to find a solution to stop my side screens from flapping about.
There does seem to be a spare screw toward the top of the screen which may enable some sort of fixing, but how to do it and still be able to open the doors etc, thats the question??
As I want to use the side screens independently of the hood, fixing it to the hood is not an option and winter is on its way!!
Apart from the irritation of the flapping, it must be putting a strain on the door mounts.
Any ideas or cleaver solutions greatfully recieved.

Regards
Allan

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Side Screens

Post by peterc » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm

Alan,
I think I wrote an article on this back in 2017. I will try to locate it.
Basically I made a small Ali angle bracket and attached to the windscreen surround. I remember drilling/tapping the hole with trepidation and the drill did touch something harder which was probably the edge of the glass despite my careful measuring.
I added some felt pads as a buffer for the edge of the side screen.
The brackets can be adjusted ( bent) to obtain the best grabbing affect of the side screen.
Those who want it to look original need to locate a rubber conical shaped buffer.
Peter C
DSC_1705.JPG
Attachments
DSC_1704.JPG

allan horsfall
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by allan horsfall » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Peter

Not sure my nerves would stand drilling that hole. I'll have a look when I get back ! thanks for the input.

Allan

Roger King
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Roger King » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:54 am

Cars left Thames Ditton with a simple steel chrome-plated right-angle bracket fixed to the back face of the windscreen by a chrome-plated raised countersunk 2BA screw. A rubber buffer was installed through a hole in the plate. One of the top-end US restoration companies had this buffer, which appears to have been specially made, reproduced some years ago but have no stock remaining.
Buffer2.jpg
This buffer is similar to, but smaller than, the buffer fixed to the top of the A-post door shut return to damp the aluminium doorskin against the scuttle on later cars. Early cars had the 'pin and socket' arrangement.