Fitting a hard top.

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Fitting a hard top.

Post by KevinW »

Thanks Clive, understood, and very useful.
My problem is that the hardtop will not sit down on the car properly until I have finished the grp surgery (sits too high), so I can't determine if my screen is at the correct rake to ensure the sidescreens will align correctly with the hardtop. Don't want to start the surgery until I have the screen properly adjusted.

I have added a couple of blue arrows to the pic in post#6 to show the missing vertical dimension that determines correct screen rake for the bubble top to fit a non-Hawk car. No mention of this dimension in the weblink fitting instructions. Would you be able to tell me what this is i.e. vertical distance between top of sidescreen and top of screen pillar casting. I am guessing its about 15mm.

-sorry to hijack the thread!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

The screen top corner is all curves so measuring is not that accurate.
Vertical distance from the top of the front of the side screen frame with a rule placed in the middle of the frames width and measuring as best can to the rear radiused edge of the side pillar curving round over the screen corner is approx 15 mm.
Another dimension using a spirit level on the top / front edge of the screen where it meets the side pillar and the level twisted round to be able to measure down to the side screen top is 40mm.
Angle of screen in the centre is 41degrees from vertical.
Hope that helps.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

That's great, perfect - thanks Peter - appreciate the effort.
Kevin
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

This year I have run with sidescreens but no top, and to stop them flapping, inserted a short length of the plastic extrusion that comes with replacement wiper blades into the top of the side screen, which then rests on the outer edge of the screen frame.
Works surprisingly well!
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Emily98

Post by Emily98 »

I have a comparable issue fitting a bubble top to a 427 body with a move bar. I will need to part it down the middle, include a 2-3" filet and re-profile the back skirt, as depicted in the specialized articles on here.