Lift the dot studs

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

Lift the dot studs

Post by simonjrwinter »

After buying my Tonneau from Gerry the other day, I decided to try and tap holes in the glassfibre to fix the studs. Despite drilling the correct size holes and buying the correct taps, could I get the tap to cut a thread in the glassfibre?.......nope. Tried a couple of holes then gave it up as a bad job. I’ve therefore ordered some long 15mm threaded studs after reading what others have done on here (and the difficulty I had on my last hawk with the short threaded studs) but am I right in thinking there are a couple of studs that fit into voids with no access underneath? I presume just normal “wood” studs will have to be fitted there?
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: Lift the dot studs

Post by StewbieC »

No idea why you are having a problem Simon, I've tapped loads of holes in Gerry's body shells and never had an issue. Even the 2BA ones. An option is to use Tennex male studs that are available in longer lengths and work fine with female lift-the-dots. A fixing nut can then be fitted and loctite'd on.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I’ve got a set of three taps. I started off with the finest, should I just get straight in with the coarsest?
I might try that.
Simon
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

They won't be fine, coarse etc. A set of taps are taper, intermediate and plug. Select the correct drill size first by finding what size drill fits through a nut of the same size but just smaller than the inside threads, then after you have drilled the hole tap with the tapered tap by gently working it back and forth, once that is done do the same with the intermediate and then plug taps.Take your time and practice on an off cut of fibreglass if you can and make sure you don't force the taps as the nature of fibreglass can cause it to split.

I googled drill size for taps https://www.wlfuller.com/html/tap_drill_chart.html If you don't have the exact size use the closest possible smaller.

Also check out You Tube for "Tapping Holes in Fibreglass"
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Ok thanks Clive. I’ll give it another go (4mm drill for 2BA Tap I’ve been told) Just for my own satisfaction but will probably stick with the longer studs with nuts on to hold them securely.
Simon
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Are you certain that the thread is 2BA? I cannot remember what mine were but I didn't have any problems. BA is a fine thread and probably not the best for soft material like fibreglass. Probably best to fit them with washers and nuts.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Jerryedmans
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Jerryedmans »

A bit late but I just popped the tap into my battery drill and drilled the tap into the hole. It took seconds to tap each hole and worked well. Studs screwed in easily and held firm.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

When purchased, my car had some lovely stainless dome-headed Allen bolts fitted...unfortunately they were m5! My solution was to make some 7mm threaded brass inserts which I glued in, having drilled & tapped them 2ba first, and made an insertion tool to wind them in flush!
The reason I went m7 is that the base of the Lift-the-Dot will not cover an 8mil insert.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!