Clutch bearing (?) squeak

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Clutch bearing (?) squeak

Post by amulheirn »

Hi all,

For most of its life, my car has had a high-pitched squeal when the clutch is engaged and the car is warm. The noise immediately goes away when even just light pressure is applied to the clutch pedal. The noise is present whether the car is in neutral or driving and the clutch is engaged.

I assumed this meant my clutch release bearing was duff (sorry if I am not using the right terminology here. I mean the bearing that slides up and down the gearbox input shaft, not the pilot bearing in the end of the crank)

But then I read this: https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical ... ing-noise/

Specifically paragraph 4:
A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.
What do you think? And do I need to pull the whole engine out to do the investigation, or, assuming I can borrow some time on a 4-post lift, could this be done with the engine still installed?

Any thoughts or advice appreciated! Also, if anyone has a spare clutch release bearing to go on a Tremec T5 input shaft, I may be interested.

Andy
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Clutch bearing (?) squeak

Post by clive »

Not too sure about the noise but I know you can remove an LT77 gearbox from a Rover engined 289 with it on axle stands so I guess it can be done with a Ford.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I'd say there's a chance it could be either and I doubt it would be the T5 input shaft bearing unless there's some misalignment. Are you using Dexron 3 oil (red auto transmission fluid) in your T5?
Throwout bearings are not that cheap, Real Steel will have them on the shelf. If you plan to move the gearbox back then remember that if you pull the propshaft all of your fluid will drain out, but you probably know that already.
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Andy,
do you have an external slave cylinder or an internal one (concentric)?
If it's external do you have the correct adjustment giving it some clearance when the clutch is not applied?
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

thanks for all your responses chaps.

Kev - I've got a hydraulic external slave. Never set one of these up before so it is probably needing adjustment, and your suggestion is probably the easiest place to start. I guess I need to adjust it so there's a slight 'pre-load' on the lever when there's nothing on the pedal? (Hoping this is the solution - don't fancy taking the engine out again!)

Thanks again!
Andy
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Andy ideally you want no pressure on the clutch bearing at all maybe even a little clearance without the clutch pedal being pressed.
Too much clearance of course and you have too much pedal travel.
Do you have an adjustable slave pushrod?
Kev Davies
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Ah ok, I see. I do have an adjustable pushrod at the slave end - I put it in and it seemed to work so I have never fiddled with it.

I bought the Modern Driveline slave cylinder on impulse because I also bought my T5 from them. Looks just like the first photo here: https://www.moderndriveline.com/Technic ... Clutch.htm

Didn't really know whether that was a good idea at the time but it seems to fit ok. I'm using Gerry's master cylinder and pedal box. The Modern Driveline slave doesn't come with any kind of spring to pull the clutch lever back when there is no pressure from the pedal, so I am wondering if a bit of adjustment and maybe also a pull back spring might be needed to fully disengage the bearing.

Cheer,s

Andy
kdavies3

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Andy, ideally you want the slave at rest to be all the way back in it's bore, obviously to give you maximum available stroke when you press the pedal.
I've seen springs on some and many that don't.
Kev Davies