Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Tripo headlights

Post by KevinW »

I'd like to fit a set of the 'tripo' headlights like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/264080706855?c ... gKpgvD_BwE

There are several types out there, some more authentic than others, some with dip issues etc.

Any recommendations please.
Is there any way to replace bulbs to increase light output whilst maintaining an authentic look....?
kdavies3

Re: Tripo headlights

Post by kdavies3 »

Hi Kev, I've had two Cobras with them on.
One (The Contemporary) went through IVA with them too.
The second a DAX failed IVA on the lack of a beam pattern.
As you say all Tripods don't appear to be equal.
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I put tripods from SVC on my car. More expensive but better than the cheap ones. However, the beam pattern is not perfect.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

simonjrwinter wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:21 pm I put tripods from SVC on my car. More expensive but better than the cheap ones. However, the beam pattern is not perfect.
Simon
I guess you mean these Simon:
https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/7--pl70 ... roduction/

I am not sure I see the advantage compared to these which also take the H4 bulb, but much cheaper.....
It seems a bit steep just to put a Lucas shield on the front, or is the lighting actually better than these:

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/7--tripod-lens-halogen/
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

I was told the beam pattern is better. Be interesting to try one of each for comparison
Simib
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I've driven at night with the PL repros and they are OK and that was on unlit country A roads with standard H4 lamps fitted.
Yes I know they are twice the price. I even bought a spare set as I was told at the time it might be limited supply. But its a one off purchase and quickly forgotten :shock:

Post by monster7 »

I had them on my car as well, the pattern is not that great. If you drive only a few at night, it‘s okish.
I changed to cheaper but much better Hellas with H4 bulps.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I wonder how many 289s etc actually had tripod lights fitted as standard? Looking back to cars from the early 1960s I can't recall many which did and nearly all the originals in the ACOC have standard 7" round lights fitted. Whether they are original lamps or not I don't know, but I will stick with my Cibes.

This is a line up of around 20 original ACs (And one imposter!) of which only two have tripod lamps.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

My brief investigation on which headlights were fitted revealed that all Cobras were originally fitted with sealed beam units. Needless to say many owners wanted to go over to halogen to get the better light. The P700 and PL700 units were fitted to cars like Jaguars and were chosen as being good for the year. Of course design and technology had moved on since and these older style lights can’t compare with modern alternatives.
I was also informed that the PL was better than the P version but intend to conduct some tests as I have both varieties available. Having then chosen the better option I intend to go to LED bulbs.
Peter C
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I have actually gone off this upgrade for the time being, due to new originality information similar to the above. Also having looked through all my AC / Cobra books, I cannot find any 289/427 shaped cars with these fitted other than Trevor Legate's rather lovely 427 AC/Hawk repro that adorns the front of his 'Cobra at 40' book. In fact the only related pic i can find is a Greyhound with P700s fitted. 'Plain' sealed beam units shown on all of the others. They do look rather good through, so never say never.....