Tyre recommendation

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Tyre recommendation

Post by KevinW »

stu60 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:41 am Hi Frank
That's interesting but will probably go with Blockleys, they are local to me and I only use car in dry. I'm not clear if they fit or just supply so will see post lockdown.

As you say other options are ridiculously expensive at ≥£300 tyre. I have seen Galaxy R1's from Northants tyres advertised, they are worryingly cheap and never heard of them so think Blockleys
Regards Stuart
Your choice ofcourse.
But quite a few people have put Galaxys on cobras. I have 235s on my car at the moment, and will be upgrading to their 255s on the rear once I have the knock-on hubs sorted. Only seen good things written about them - I'd challenge you to find a bad review about them anywhere!

The only disadvantage, and perhaps why they are slightly cheaper than the Blockley is that thy only come in a '60' ratio, and not all sizes are V-rated.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Kevin, do you have a link to Galaxy tyres?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Hi Clive - as requested:
https://www.northhantstyres.com/classic ... R-RWL.html
https://www.northhantstyres.com/classic ... R-RWL.html
I chose to have the lettering mounted on the inside edge on my car.

After googling it, I also noticed North Hants tyres are offering these alternative V-rated Avons....
https://www.northhantstyres.com/main-ty ... l-wsw.html

NB The '70' profile Galaxy in this size is not V-rated!

They are ding a 10% discount on these atm.

HTH Kevin
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Thanks for the link Kevin, I'd never heard of these tyres. There are a fair number of 205/70 15 tyres out there which would fit our wire wheels, but they are primarily for 4x4s or vans and do not have the speed rating we need which if fitted would invalidate our insurance.
Cheers, Clive.

stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi
i enquired to NorthHants Tyres about suitable tyres to replace my Pirelli P4000,

they replied as follows:-

"The 205/70x15 Galaxy H rated would be fine. You could consider 215/60x15 on the front and 235/60x15 on the rear (subject to clearance) for a staggered fitment and wider footprint."

The 205/70x15 are currently £47.50 plus VAT less 10% Covid discount for H rated 130mph. I think the Blockleys look better but they are £149 plus VAT.... big difference almost seem too cheap!

Does anyone know if the other sizes recommended will fit well on the hawk wire wheels?

thanks Stuart
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

My feeling is we have spent upwards of £30k on our cars and the only think keeping us in contact with the road is the tyres. Most of us do only a few thousand miles a year so a set of tyres will last a fair few years. I had never heard of Galaxy tyres and they do seem extremely cheap, whether or not that is reflected in the grip/wear characteristics I don't know, but having done a bit of research on the Blockleys I would rather put my money in them.

Incidentally whilst travelling home from Silverstone last year the rain on the motorway was horrendous and I never felt any problems with the grip of the Blockleys.
Cheers, Clive.

stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

Hi Clive
I tend to agree, but there are positive reviews over on cobra club forum....

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60916

I keep researching as it looks like I have plenty of time before I can get any tyres fitted !
DVDs Stuart
Migge

Post by Migge »

I have Galaxy 215/60 and 245/60 on the project car wheels and I have only read positive comments, in Germany too.
It will take some time when I'll test them :-)

If someone is interested in Pirelli 4000: I think I have stored a pair of 215/70 for a few years now. In a dark cellar room covered with blankets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

I think those are the V-rated Galaxy's Migge?
I personally wouldn't go for H-rated tyres, whether they are cheap or not.
Like you, I have only read good things about the (V-rated) Galaxys. The 235s I currently have seem perfectly good to me, although I haven't done many miles, or explored the limits on grip.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Yes Kevin, V-rated. One of the very few 15" tires you can get.
Special customized BRA289