help! starter motor

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

help! starter motor

Post by stu60 »

hi
just tried to start the car. Rover v8, starter motor will not turn over not even a click. i did change the fuse box from the baynet type to more modern blade fuse type the other day but it has been driven a few times since this change with no problems so not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Given the starter motor is in an inaccesible location that will require the exhaust to be removed can anyone give me any advice as what to try first?

i have fuse box and relays under the wing on drivers side. Does anyone know if there is a relay and/or fuse i can check before doing something more drastic with starter motor. if so which relay/fuse is it.

i had a quick look under dash at ignition switch, cant see anything wrong but there is a strange single wire with a spring black but hanging down... not sure what this is and probably a red herring.

rgds Stuart
kdavies3

Re: help! starter motor

Post by kdavies3 »

I assume you've checked your battery voltage and terminal tightness?
Kev Davies
DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600. SOLD
Dax De Dion LS2 and T56. SOLD
1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
In build Hawk 289 (302) Sebring. Awaiting IVA:D
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

thanks for reply, battery is charged and lights etc all working.

I am a little suspicious of immobiliser, i can hear the fuel pump running which normally requires immobiliser circuit to be on but is there a circuitin immobilser that cuts power to starter motor as well? i also have an unconnected wire (yellow/black?) on the top of the starter motor but cant see that it has ever been connected as doesn't seem to be any male connectors nearby to connect into it.
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

After running jump wiresetc from battery it turns out it was the starter motor. For anyone who has powerlite starter motor on rover V8, removal is not easy. In case anyone needs to do same this was procedure.

1. Remove complete drivers side exhaust
2. Remove 90 degree tube attached to manifold, you might need to use the back end of the exhaust as a lever ( carefully!)
3. You can access the bottom start motor bolt from underneath
4. The top bolt can be removed with the manifold in place but you will need flexy socket drives and a lot of patience.
5. Getting it back in is going to be fun

On examination the main cable between the 2 starter motor bodies was loose ( can't be accessed without removal) there is evidence of arcing. I am going to get it tested but if there's any doubt I will replace as the thought of doing this job twice does not enthrall me.

Thanks
Stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have definitely had to replace my starter motor as the first one suffered from too much heat from the exhaust. I am pretty sure that did the job without the need to remove the exhaust. I do have the benefit of a pit but I seem to remember the main issue was making the terminal connections and ensuring you didn’t Earth out by mistake.
The newer starters are shorter so provide more room to work.
I occasionally have an issue starting due to the immobiliser not giving a signal to the fuel pump. Arming and disarming a couple of times seems to get it working.
Peter C
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

hi Peter
interesting... there is no way you could remove my starter without taking off the 90 degree exhaust bend between manifold and stainless rear section no matter how small the starter is.

the powerlite is a small high-torque unit but if you kow of a better one/easier re-fit i would be interested.
thanks Stuart
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Stu,
I have a Racemettle starter motor which can be removed without removing the headers/exhaust.

http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/starters.html
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I confess it was way back in 2005 that I replaced my starter motor due to hot starting problems despite it being wrapped in heat shield. Checking my service history for the car I have also logged that a month later I re designed the exhaust system so the bottom bend was angled out towards the door cill. This was primarily to gain more ground clearance but also to keep heat away from the starter.
I think I would have to accept your explanation of the difficulties of fitting as a quick look does suggest the motor would be trapped by the exhaust on the standard route.
I only know that the new motor is shorter than the old one and was sold as a more modern hi- torque unit from a LR service facility.
Peter C
stu60
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by stu60 »

hi i have removed my powerlite RAC318 starter motor. i found that the connection between the two bodies was loose which probably caused the intermittent problem (evidence of the connection arcing but connection is still ok to use). I've decided to buy a new one as, although i think tightening the connection will fix it, I have no way of testing it off the car and the pain of fitting and removal again isn't worth the risk to me.

SO... i have a (probably ok) Powerlite 318 going spare if anyone wants it... collection only from Cheltenham. All i would ask is that if you test it and find it is good then you donate £25 to charity which is a bargain given i've just paid £230 for the replacement.
regards Stuart
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Why not keep it as an emergency back up.
Peter C