Bonnet (Hood) Rivets on a 289 Sebring????

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Bonnet (Hood) Rivets on a 289 Sebring????

Post by peterc »

Hi Kev, obviously it’s down to you but cutting down the nail without damaging the rivet head might be a bit tricky. Mine appear to have been pulled tight as the nails finish down inside the rivet head.
Peter C
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

if you paint ther bonnet and rivets with the rivets fitted, you'd be surprisded at how much definition you would lose, plus, there's the possibilty of the paint cracking around the rivets with body movement, paint shrinkage etc. As paint cures, it does shrink slightly ;-). I left mine in raw aluminium and riveted them to the bonnet once the paint had cured sufficiently, so as not to "pull down" into the paint too much. I felt that the raw aluminium rivets added an amount of detail the the bonnet, which I liked. If you wanted painted rivets, I'd be inclined to paint the bonnet, let it cure and then fit the rivets and carefully paint the rivet heads by hand afterwards. If the car's metallic, I would mask out each rivet head once fitted and airbrush the basecoat and clear on lightly to the rivet head, as brushing a metallic with a paintbrush looks a bit gash, as the metallic tends to look blotchy.
Hope that helps
Cheers...NIge
Migge

Post by Migge »

After the whole prepaint process (sanding, filler, sanding, filler, ......... primer, sanding,pri...........), just before the first layer of yellow, I placed the rivets. They
20151121_194409-2.jpg
20151121_194439-2.jpg
became a light coat of epoxy primer (because of the aluminium) by hand. I have never had a problem for the last 4 years and approx. 9.000 km.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289
Migge

Post by Migge »

Few rivet pics July 2020
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Special customized BRA289
SiJackson

Post by SiJackson »

I put the rivets in after the primer was flatted, dusted a bit of etch onto them and then the top colour. If they lose a bit of definition, so be it, these are meant to be old war horses and were never pretty :)