Knock-on wheels: split pin problem

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Knock-on wheels: split pin problem

Post by KevinW »

Have finally got my rear hubs ready for fitment.

My question for FIA owners with knock-ons: how to fit the split pin on the rear castellated nut?
Spent a couple of frustrating hours trying to force a curlled split pin down the centre of the hub and curl it into the drive shaft yesterday and failed.
I wondered if anyone had had this problem and what solutions people have adopted? I have been told that some people have used a nylock on the rear of the XJ driveshaft, but I cannot find any information on line. I have seen the same problem on E-types with spline hubs and been advised the best route is to drill a hole in the hub to allow the split pin to pass through and slip through onto the drive shaft.

Any other ways forward?
simonjrwinter

Re: Knock-on wheels: split pin problem

Post by simonjrwinter »

I think you are supposed to line up the hole in the “stub axle” with the holes in the hub when you assemble it. Once the nut is done up you should be able to slip it through from the outside....(says he as if it’s the easiest thing in the world)
Your hubs do have the holes in don’t they?
Simon
Last edited by simonjrwinter on Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

5E532EC8-CF08-4131-AC81-6539D8EE24A9.jpeg
You can see the hole on the RHS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Thanks Simon - that looks like an E-type splined hub?

No, mine didn't have any holes (see pic), and I have no idea how others have completed this task without such a hole. I therefore spent a while measuring and gently drilling a hole to accept the split pin. I tightened the castellated nut to 100 ft lbs (as per Haynes manual), but found I needed to back off 1 flat so that the split pin hole was visible. Seems to have worked. Now for the other side.

Now wondering if I should have drilled 2 holes in case it upsets the balance. On the other hand its so close to the centre of rotation, and such a tiny amount of material removed (6.5mm OD hole) , I'm hoping it wont make any difference.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.