New 289 water pump pulley not aligning

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

New 289 water pump pulley not aligning

Post by MartBlak »

I am replacing the water pump on my 1965 (relevant as no plate at the rear, between the timing housing) 289 and the pulley fitting on the end of the impeller shaft sits about 0.8cms further than the old one. It looks as though the shaft is the same length but the gap from the body of the water pump is greater. The pulleys are all single groove.
I would think there are 3 options:
1. Move the fitting back down the shaft somehow. Is this possible? I should think it would need a hydraulic press and am not sure if it would have to be stripped down if there are bearings that might get damaged?
2. Shim out the crank pulley and alternator to fit. The problem is that 0.8cms is quite a shimming distance and I am not sure it is practicable?
3. Find a pulley with greater depth to compensate and position the groove in the right plane? Do these exist and where would I get one from?

Can anyone help me with advice on this issue?
Many thanks
Martin
ps. I haven't worked out how to upload some images yet
StuBaker

Re: New 289 water pump pulley not aligning

Post by StuBaker »

Hi Martin,

Just seen this. What pulley are you fitting? Mine has a large cone and offsets the drive rearwards significantly. I also had to fit a spacer on the crankshaft pulley, which I had to buy separately.
pulley example.jpg
I was very lucky and sourced these on ebay for £not a lot.
I found there was very little info on offset dimensions and was prepared to keep trying different ones. This was through covid when access was a problem.
It may be easier to source at the NEC next week?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

If I’m understanding the problem correctly, you may need a shim kit available from real steel….(it says GM but it’s under the Ford section)
Simon
72815BFA-BD7D-45E4-887C-E9F0D53EAFAC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Thanks for the suggestions, I have now fixed it after speaking to Real Steel and getting some advice from the Mustang Forum......they are very welcoming even though I only have an engine in common!
The pulley flange is a press fit but it is very difficult to move in a controlled way. It has of course to be absolutely square and the shaft has to be properly supported otherwise the bearings could be damaged. I had one suggestion from the Mustang forum to heat up the flange to maybe allow it to ease....though fortunately I had contrary advice that it would potentially damage the seals. The gap was just under 1/2" so really too big for spacers.
Real Steel were very helpful and the technical chap there said he had pressed other flanges down. This gave me some confidence and I got access to a 20 tonne hydraulic press in a local farmer's workshop. After careful alignment and putting spacers on the water pump body to avoid going too far the flange was eased down. It is now exactly as the old one so everything is now properly aligned and good to go!
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Excellent, thanks for posting the fix. Always good to get “closure” on an issue.
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

Yes,well done.
Can we see some pix?
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Here are the before gap between the flange and water pump body for the old and new units
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... fit=bounds
This is the press used - amazing to find this in the farmer's workshop......it must be over 40 years old!
....and this is the after picture showing the closed gap vs the old one

I hope that all works!