How is the dashboard secured??

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

How is the dashboard secured??

Post by phlip99 »

I didn't build the car so, having only recently bought, it I'm on a steep learning curve!
I have the steering wheel & column off to replace the bushes and I'm just investigating (for the future) how the dashboard is secured.
There is quite a deep return on the bottom of the dash and this appears to be secured to a steel channel by some self tappers.
The steel channel is part of the bulkhead frame I assume?
I can't see any other fixings.
I'm guessing there must be some along the top edge but maybe it slots in securely somehow???

Advice gratefully received - and any photos?!
Cheers
Phil.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: How is the dashboard secured??

Post by clive »

Hi Phil, unfortunately I don't have any clear pictures of this, nor does there seem to be any in the build manual. The bar you refer to runs along the bottom of the dash and ids what the steering column is attached to. From memory my dash was a snug fit and I secured it underneath by a couple of self tappers. I also made a right angled bracket which I fibreglassed under the top of the dashboard in the centre and used a self tapper to secure.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Similar to mine, although there are rivnuts in the bottom of the tube.
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

I fitted an aluminium bracket using the mirror base screws. I bent a bit of a lead in and the top of the dash just slides behind it. I haven't fitted a screw yet as it would be in 'the wrong position'.
The bottom screws are frustrating to locate so perhaps a larger hole in the dash base and a nice screw cup over.
Or, there are some self tapper clips you fit to the scuttle bar that will move to locate the screw. This allows you to drill a larger hole in the bracket and jiggle about a bit but maybe at the expense of accurate alignment. But it is a better way to fit a self tapper.
s-l300.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Not sure how those type of connections would work as they are intended to slide over a thin metal return not a box section.
As Clive says the frame is there primarily to support the steering column but also provides suitable attachment for the dash on its return edge.
Mine simply has 4 self tappers holding the dash to the underside of that frame and is a tight fit against the underside of the scuttle so I didn’t see the need for a central bracket.
Peter C
FIAJack

Post by FIAJack »

Interesting Peter.
My support frame is a box section as you say but has two plates welded to it to facilitate the dashboard installation using the exact fittings mentioned by Stu above. No mods by me, it is as supplied by Gerry - albeit 20 years ago.
Cheers, Jack