Ethanol and Hawk fuel hoses

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Ethanol and Hawk fuel hoses

Post by peterc »

I have been having issues with getting sufficient fuel pressure from the Malpassi fuel filter/ regulator. The screw is currently wound so far in there is no thread left for the domed lock nut despite only 4.5 psi.

Brian of BGC Motorsport advises that I first need to check that the pump is well earthed as it should give 6-8 psi.
He has been aware of issues where the pump works but does not perform to full performance due to poor earthing.
The Malpassi has an adjustable range of 1.5- 7psi.

He also advised the following regarding the fuel hoses that he has supplied as part of the Hawk kit.
Modern Fuel is horrible stuff and attack the hose and can form a gel if inactive for a while, The kits I build now uses a different hose and although the original hose is rates for 10% ethanol, the hose does not last the same as it used to , probably due to other additives that the fuel companies do not disclose.

So you have been warned.
Peter C
cobraboy

Re: Ethanol and Hawk fuel hoses

Post by cobraboy »

I had an issue with my filter king that you may wish to check out.
I too had screwed the top screw right in to try to get more pressure. It did not seem to make any difference where the screw was to the reading I was getting, so I took the filter bowl off to check the filter and found parts from the adjuster in the bottom of the filter. I found that if the top screw was over tightened slightly it 'jacked' the assembly out of the top lid into the filter.
I had to re assemble and re stake into the lid.
I also found that the spring in the top had a sharp edge on one end, this had dug into the fitting and the spring had been twisted and ruined by the screwing action, I had to replace the spring. There are three types of spring for various pressures.
Here is one, others are on this site. https://www.fuelpumpsonline.co.uk/malpa ... 5286-p.asp
I can only get 4.5 psi from my Facet cube pump that is listed at up to 7 psi, I did a flow test though and the GPH is adequate. The car does not run out of fuel at WOT, so I have let it be.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Ethanol and Hawk fuel hoses

Post by peterc »

Yes, I had my Malpassi fall apart when on my way from Silverstone to the hotel last year. Not a pleasant night being recovered by the AA.
I have re assembled the old unit and re staked the plastic collar which had fallen out of its own accord. I say this as I had never made any adjustment.
I have checked the new unit for the same issue with the collar but not inspected the spring. I didn’t want to dismantle the unit due to infringing any warranty. Thus I will check the voltage at the pump first.
It’s interesting that BCG suggest the creation of a gel in the hose which of course could foul the regulator.
The do gooders who suggested adding ethanol have a lot to answer for. I hope their cars have issues to show them what they have created.
Peter C