Oil pressure too high

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Re: Oil pressure too high

Post by MartBlak »

Just a quick update. The sump came off fine and the oil pump was replaced very easily.......some really useful You Tube videos helped give me confidence and familiarity with what to do.
End result is a much happier oil pressure of 60psi compared to 80-85psi with the high volume/high pressure pump that was on previously.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Excellent! Enjoy the classic👍
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Great trip to the Classic. She went like a dream and just ate up the miles at 120-130 km/h. I went each way in a day and on the way back detoured via the D-Day beaches so had about 11 hours of driving!
Oil pressure was 55-60 psi all the way but my oil temp only got up to reasonable levels when in traffic. I can only think it is due to having a racing sump which cools down rapidly when going at any speed.
I am concerned to get it running at a reasonable temperature so need to either replace the racing sump with a standard one or to find some way to deflect the airflow or to put some sort of cover over the front.
Apart from that I had an issue with the fan blowing a fuse when it kicked in. I temporarily solved this by connecting the fan directly to the battery and switching it manually via my manual override switch. I clearly have a short somewhere in the loom so have some detective work to do.

The Classic was amazing and the highlight for me was seeing/listening to the 289s in the same race as GT40s and Daytonas.....among others. Having dinner on the Mulsanne Straight while they were screaming past at night then braking for the chicane was incredible.
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

The stuff memories are made of!
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

MartBlak wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:39 pm
Apart from that I had an issue with the fan blowing a fuse when it kicked in. I temporarily solved this by connecting the fan directly to the battery and switching it manually via my manual override switch. I clearly have a short somewhere in the loom so have some detective work to do.

What rating of fuses do you have? When I built my car, all the fuses in the fuse box were rated at 5 amps. I only realised that some were not strong enough when I was driving at night and the headlights decided they would pack in! The horn was another fuse which wasn't high enough. Fans, such as the cooling fans, draw a lot of current when they initially start so it might only need a stronger fuse.
I also had canoe type fuses which were terrible and changed the fuse box to blade type fuses.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

I have 5,10,15 and 20amp fuses depending on the circuit. It all worked fine before the re-build so I am sure it is a short somewhere in the loom.