Oil pressure too high

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Oil pressure too high

Post by MartBlak »

My 1965 Ford 289 engine is running really nicely after such a long lay-off. The only potential concern is that the oil pressure is far too high. How is this managed? Is there a release spring somewhere I have to look at?
Many thanks. I need to get this fixed before the Le Mans Classic trip so any suggestions would be much appreciated.
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Re: Oil pressure too high

Post by MartBlak »

OK, I have been in touch with Real Steel and they told me that the release spring is integral with the oil pump on a 289 and they only had one left. I went into Uxbridge to get it as the pressure is not at a level I feel comfortable with. I spoke with the chap who put the car together some 20 years ago and he said that he put a racing sump and oil cooler on as the oil temp was running too high before. At that time he fitted a high pressure/High volume oil pump. Then he couldn't get the engine up to proper operating temperature and ended up putting gaffer tape across the oil rad!
I have removed the oil cooler and it is possible that the pump he had is just too powerful for my set-up now.
For information, there are 3 types/levels of oil pump:
1. 68 - standard
2. 68A - High Pressure
3. 68HV - High volume/High Pressure

As I cannot work out what is likely to be the cause of the high pressure, (either a release spring issue or an over-strength pump) I have got a standard one and will look to replace it in the next few days.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

You should never need a High pressure high volume oil pump in a non race 289.
I'd suggest you fit a stock oil pump.
I don't know why you would need an oil cooler either (noted that you took it out). My oil temp only rises when I've been sat in traffic on a roasting hot day and a cooler wouldn't help there either.
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Thanks Stu. it is going to be a messy old job but I need to do it before setting off to Le Mans next Wednesday. Is there anything I should watch out for when installing a Standard oil pump? I am hoping it will just be the same fitting as the High vol/High pressure one I am taking out.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I'm not sure about the Ford oil pump as I've never had to replace mine, but I am aware that the Rover pump requires priming before use.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

As Clive says buy a priming tool too. If you bought from Real Steel they'd probably ask if you need one. Use a corded drill and it spins anti-clockwise. You remove the distributer to prime.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

The Rover V8 oil pump won't produce any oil pressure unless its packed with vaseline first.
My big block Ford V8 didn't seem to need this, no idea about a small block.
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Real Steel didn't mention any priming requirement and I have not seen anything about this when watching YouTube videos on 289 oil pump replacement! I reckon the Ford small block doesn't need it....similar to your big block Kevin.
All the videos I have watched mention that a 289 should just have a standard oil pump and certainly not the high pressure/high volume ones.......unless you are going racing!
It looks very straightforward to change the oil pump as long as you can drop the sump without having to remove the engine.......as far as I can see I am OK in this regard. I will find out on Friday!!
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Just make sure you spin the engine over with the plugs out before you try and start it. That should make sure the oil is pumped round
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Thanks for the tip Simon.....I will remember to do this.