Backspace and offset

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Backspace and offset

Post by Dave Woodward »

Does anybody know the specific measurements of the wire wheels Gerry specifies for the 289 roadster.

Contemplating a move to alloys (6.5 front and 7.5 rear with splined inserts) but struggling making sense of the correct measurements.

You may recall I purchased some FIA wheels many years ago which have just remained on the shelf. Couldn't bring myself to go the full 'Carlos Fandango' to quote Roger :D in the end so if anybody wants them they are still available.

Dave.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Backspace and offset

Post by clive »

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
donohue41

Post by donohue41 »

Hi Dave, did you get any resolution to your query? Like you I'd ideally go for 6.5x15 and 7.5x15 wheel sizes on my newly-arrived 289 Sebring kit, due to future tyre availability mainly. I've also found quoted backspace dimensions varying wildly from c.80mm to 114mm!

I'll be using MGB live axle with splined hubs.

The 'easy' option would be Hawk's FIA wheels and accept very limited tyre options for the rear. But I'd like to go a different route if I can. Dunlop-style alloys on my wish list.

Did you sell your FIA wheels?
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Still have them if anybody is interested. I’m unlikely to use them as it will require mods to my rear arches which I’ve lost interest in now.

Post by FIA347 »

Dave Woodward wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:34 pm Still have them if anybody is interested. I’m unlikely to use them as it will require mods to my rear arches which I’ve lost interest in now.
What are the front and rear wheel offsets or backspaces of the FIA Wheels?