Replacing exhaust balance box with H or X pipes

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Re: Replacing exhaust balance box with H or X pipes

Post by MartBlak »

I understand that an H section gives a more traditional V8 deeper noise whereas an X section gives a higher pitched sound. Having the cross pipe gives you the option of having it open and therefore balanced. I was told by Andy at GD that having it unbalanced gives a full V8 "burble" whereas the balanced noise is less pronounced.
The noise level is of course an issue and I would have to investigate whether I would need better (more effective) silencer rear exhaust sections.
This is all new ground for me!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

There appears to be an awful lot of contradiction on the web regarding the affects of either H or X cross over pipes. I don’t think any OEM’s would add in the cost of an H set up if it increased the noise.
There appears to be more comments that suggest an H gives the deeper sound and X the higher. Also a bias towards an H for torque and an X for power.
If you wanted to try to re instate a crossover balance box try Profusion Exhausts at Coln Ind est. They have a twin in/ out box with an X built inside. You would of course need to allow some monies to re align the existing pipes to match the pitch on their box.
Peter C
MartBlak
Forum member
Forum member

Post by MartBlak »

Thanks Peter. Slough is within easy reach so I have contacted them to see what options they may have to match my system. If it sounds positive I will certainly visit them.