Adapting Rover gear lever to accept Hawk lever

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Adapting Rover gear lever to accept Hawk lever

Post by Dave Woodward »

Can anybody tell me how to fit the 'authentic' Hawk gear lever to an existing Rover gear lever. The Hawk lever is clearly designed to accept the existing lever and be secured with a grub screw / bolt, but the original looks as though it needs to be shortened and modified first.

Cheers.

Dave.
richmixture

Post by richmixture »

Hi Dave,

I can tell you how to do this, I have just done this myself, you do indeed need to cut the original gear lever.

You should have a shortend remote and all that jazz, make sure it works first, I have been through 3 of them!

When your lever is all working, you will see that you have a thick part at the base about 2.5 inches with a rubber thing on it, above this the stick is alot thinner and then you have the threaded part on the top for the gear knob.

well what you need to do is, make sure that with the trans mission tunnel in and the boot on you have the correct hieght, as you will need to cut the stick down to the length that allows the hawk lever to go up, from memory this would mean that your old stick would need to be cut down to 2 - 2.5 inches, then you need to mill this down to the diameter is just small enough for for the hawk lever to go over the top, with the grub screws out you should be able to slide the hawk lever down over the top of the old lever, and it should be the correct length to sit ontop of the thicker part of the old lever, then drill into the stick through the grub screws to indent, then screw it up - jobs done

kris
Kris
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Dave Woodward »

Kris,

Thanks. That all makes sense.

Now all I need to find is a milling machine !!! Knew I should have grown up to be an engineer and not an IT Consultant !!

Dave.
richmixture

Post by richmixture »

Ah dave, IT your in the same business as me,

Well if that makes sense then this will, you can cheat with it, I dont have a lathe, or milling machine, so that makes things somewhat of a problem, so if you have a bench grinder, you can infact, carefully rotate it and grind it down, mine came out perfect, its round and looks neat, I am a bit of a neat freak.

i know this is hard, as I didnt do mine, I got my dad to turn it up, he is abit of a wizard when it come to that sort of thing.

All the best

kris 8)
Kris