Fuel Tank Access??

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Fuel Tank Access??

Post by phlip99 »

I need to do something about the petrol pong in the boot - re-routing the air vent/overflow pipe seems a good idea.
Is there any access to the tank behind the seats?
The pipe enters the tank in the far top left corner looking from inside the boot and is fairly inaccessible.

Anyone got a good photo of the bare body tub cockpit area to include the part behind the seats??

Cheers
Phil.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Fuel Tank Access??

Post by clive »

Good luck with trying to get rid of the smell in the boot! Many on this forum have tried and most have failed. There are many thoughts on where the smell comes from, many think it is from the rubber hose that joins the filler neck to the cap as it isn't fuel rated and so 'breathes' vapour out if the tank is brimmed with fuel. Some think it is the outlet and some the breather. Whatever it is, and if you find it, it will be a welcome fix for most of us!

As for access to the tank, I am assuming you have the carpeted panel behind the seats, there is the seatbelt frame behind that and then the fibreglass bulkhead between that and the boot. The only way to get access to the tank itself is through the boot and it can be removed but takes a bit of jiggling and if I remember correctly, removal of the two seatbelt bracing straps either side of the tank.

The attached photo shows the fibreglass bulkhead and seatbelt brace bar which is hidden by the carpeted panel.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

As Clive says the only access to the tank is via the boot. Hose connections are on the side of the tank and can be accessed albeit with a little difficulty.
To avoid the petrol smells quite a few of the 289 Hawk owners have relocated the fuel pump to be mounted underneath. I used the step up portion between the seat floor and boot floor. I chose to add an isolating tap in the boot area before the hose connects to the floor bulkhead fitting.
You can reuse one or more of the existing hoses from when the pump was mounted in the boot to re route downwards.

BGC who supplied the original fuel piping parts says that modern fuels leach through the rubber hoses. I have been successful for a few years to have a smell free boot but unfortunately it has now returned. Reason still unknown having changed the fuel tank filler hose, tank breather and the fuel hoses and isolating valve.!
I have only used E5 for the last few years without any improvement in smell.
BGC is now stocking hose suitable for 100% ethanol although not sure if that’s only the breather pipe.
As Clive says if you discover how get a smell free boot we would all like to know.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I’m not sure when it was changed but my pump is located externally. I built my car in 2004/6.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I used liquid PTFE aka brake pipe sealant on all fittings and have no petrol smell in my boot 13 years in. All contact surfaces Including a smear on the fuel sendor gasket and all threads into the tank. It is fuel safe. https://www.frost.co.uk/brake-pipe-seal-75ml/
Copper washes on bulkhead fittings had a thin smear and the ends of the banjo fittings too.
My tank vent pipe is vented into the outside wheel arch with a tank vent valve.
It is a pain to remove the fuel tank but can be done. Drain tank, Two electrical spade connectors on the fuel sendor. Vent pipe, banjo that connects to the bulkhead fitting through the boot floor and the fixings that hold the two retaining straps in place. There's also a thought to replace your hoses for PTFE steel braided that are ethanol resistant depending how old they are too.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes, tried the brake pipe sealant as well. Still no improvement.!
The one thing I haven’t re placed yet is the gasket for the fuel gauge sender.
All a bit tight to get at that.
Peter C
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

And a thin smear inside the filler pipe at both ends too.
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Thanks all above for the advice.
Getting the tank out is probably not on as that would mean draining it down. The idea of an isolating tap is a good one so maybe I;d do that at the same time as re-routing the breather/overflow pipe.
Another job for the list!!
Phil
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Phil,
If you can get the breather pipe high enough over the tank you can then fit a tank roll over safety valve. Note that there are two types. TRL 88 is better one to have which shuts the fuel off if if you find yourself upside down in a ditch!
The other option is TPV8 but that only gives pressure and vac protection not inversion.
You can mount it in the offside wheel arch with a suitable loop in the pipe to ensure its mounted the correct way up.
Keep it high up and I have not found any fuel accumulating.
Peter C
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Hi Peter,
that seems like a good plan. Do you have any photos of your set-up??
Cheers
Phil.