Fuel Tank Access??

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Fuel Tank Access??

Post by peterc »

I’ll see what I can get the iPhone to focus on.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Not easy to see on my car, but the breather hose lies on the top of the tank and then routed out of the off-side wheel arch to the non-return breather valve.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

The other difference between the TRL88 and TPV8 valves is that TLR88 needs to be vertical but TPV8 can be at any angle.

I've gone for a horizontal TPV8 over the top of the tank to control venting and then fed the breather tube down below the tank to deal with inversion. That way there's no need to expose the valve or the extra loop in the wheel arch.
rhattersley
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by rhattersley »

This is what it looked like before the tank went in:
PXL_20230514_165826257.jpg
Added bonus ... once the tank is in, it keeps the not-very-60's, anodised red bauble nicely hidden from sight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

P1240084.JPG
Here's a photo of my current set-up. The valve is clearly from the budget box!
From a smell in the boot perspective I'd like to get the valve outside of the car so Clive's solution appeals.
What's the theory with the loop & inversion?? Is that why I have that loop at the side of the tank?
Cheers
Phil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

From my point of view it would be possible for the vent pipe to siphon fuel out unless you have a positive stop valve which the TRL 88 provides but the TPV does not which BGC has confirmed to me.
The TRL 88 must be mounted vertically but to get the correct flow direction you need to loop down and then back up.
I have checked mine and there is no sign of any petrol accumulating from spirited driving.
I’ll investigate taking a photo tomorrow.
I have ensured that the vent pipe doesn’t lay on the tank but follows the highest route around the curve of the rear bodywork.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

As promised a photo of my TRL88 mounting. Its merely inserted into the existing vent pipe in the off side rear wheel arch but adding the loop shown to ensure correct orientation. Any fumes are still dispelled and taken away as the pipe ends low down in the arch. Having the tube extension also keeps the dirt from getting into the valve.
I believe that Stuart C has his similarly mounted.
vent valve location.JPG
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

I don’t see how a vent pipe could allow syphoning from the tank as the outlet is on the top of the tank to allow air in as the fuel level drops.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Peter, Many thanks for photo - just to be clear.... is the fuel tank breather coming in on the right and the pipe on the left, from the top of the valve, goes to atmosphere?? Bit difficult to see connections & I just wanted to be sure I understand.
Cheers
Phil.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Yes Phil. Pipe is arriving into the O/S wheel arch from the N/S top of tank is on the right of the picture. After the valve it exits down to the left and finishes close to the bottom of the wheel arch.

Clive - have you never syphoned petrol or other liquid out of a tank. Once the vent pipe is full of fuel ( following a serious accident e.g. inversion) it will keep flowing. It needs a stop valve.

I had been going to fit just the TPV8 but after discussions with BGC I realised it ought to be the 88 model.
I was concerned that fuel might start to build up in the pipe after sloshing around with a full tank but thankfully my concerns to date are unjustified.
Peter C