Rover LT77 clutch slave cylinder

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Rover LT77 clutch slave cylinder

Post by peterc »

Question for owners of Rover engined cars with a LT 77 gearbox. What clutch slave cylinder do you use?
I have just unsuccessfully tried three differing lip seal kits each of which had the wrong I/D to fit onto the piston.
I had assumed i would have purchased an SD1 item but maybe mine is not an OEM part.
My next step is to buy a complete unit but a bit concerned that there are so many options.
It needs to be a 2 bolt end flange mounting as opposed to a side flange.
Rover SD1, Land Rover Defender or Range Rover Classic they all use an LT77 box.???
I found the original 1999 receipt but unfortunately the Auto factor used has long ceased trading and their number as not been able to be converted to later identified item.
Any suggestions?
Peter C
cobraboy

Re: Rover LT77 clutch slave cylinder

Post by cobraboy »

I can't remember the bore, but Paul Hunt at Powertrack knows everything there is to know about hydraulics.

https://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/scylinder.html
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Cobraboy. I obviously know what I have been using ( 7/8” bore) for the last 20 years it’s a big question of which vehicle it comes from. I thought it was a simple swap of the lip seal but has turned out to be a marathon.
I’ll give these guys a try.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

With a timely comment from Ian Miller who reminded me that it’s the bell housing that dictates what clutch slave cylinder you need. A quick look made the discovery of a suitable part number which looking on the RimmerBros web confirmed it was indeed a SD1 item.
So new SD1 slave cylinder now on order.
Thanks Ian.
Peter C