Front brake Calipers

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Mark Brash
T289R Member
T289R Member

Front brake Calipers

Post by Mark Brash »

Hi,

I'm a way off having to make a decision but I'm looking at front brake options and was wondering if anyone has used the 4 Pot Kit from the MG Owners Club on a Hawk 289.

https://www.mgocspares.co.uk/product/h5 ... 6/640/1517

I'm using Gerry's front suspension kit and it will have a Ford 289 fitted. At this point I'm looking for something that will work and get through the tests without taking a chunk out of my already dwindling reserves.

Thanks, Mark
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Front brake Calipers

Post by Dave Woodward »

They look remarkably like Princess callipers. Assuming that to be the case, you’ll probably find most here are running that setup.

I do, and haven’t had any issues with them. You do need a firm right foot but the only way around that is a servo.
T289R Member

Post by Mark Brash »

Thanks Dave, I'm expecting they have to be better than standard MGB units, which are the same as my TR4a and just acceptable under normal conditions. Seems like a fair deal including vented discs.I'll put them on my long list.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

As Dave says, they look very similar to the Princess 4 pots that were recommended back in the day but are now like the proverbial Hen's Teeth. Also the Lockheed discs that we oldies have, are Peugeot and required the wheel stud holes to be fettled to fit correctly. If these fit without any modification, and I think they will if you are using MG hubs, it will be ideal. Dependant on what make the brake pads are it might be worth fitting Ferodo DS 2500 which give better bite than standard pads.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

I have some big vented rotors and Wilwood callipers from Hi Spec. Let me know if you want details. I agree on the pads. There's always a second or two of bum twitching when braking on the green stuff pads after pootling around.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Hi Stu,
I've been looking at Wilwood.... did you get Midilite or Dynalite?? Any particular feature of the one you chose that swayed you in that choice??
Cheers
Phil.
StuBaker

Post by StuBaker »

I used the Dynalite BUT 1999 vintage!
They were one of the first things I bought for my car.
Problem with mine is they have no piston seals or rattle shims. I had to make some shims because the pads rattled like maracas over bumps.
The pistons seal absence has not caused any problems yet. They're 23 years old and been on 3. About 5k miles
Make sure you buy ROAD calipers not race. I didn't have much choice or knowledge when I bought mine.
I can't remember what piston size they are but I'll have a look next week, she's off the road now for the winter.
Hi-Spec were very good though...
And I have green pads which are a bit too hard but not enough of a problem for me to change yet. Although I probably will this winter.
If I save up enough I may fit some road calipers.
Big discs and ally rotors are nice too. I think they are 28mm x 320mm vented and drilled.
Just check your master cylinder diameter is correct. Again, I can't remember what it is but you need to get it right.
Don't forget the Hawk ones though, they look very similar and I'm sure they will be right for the car.
Get to the NEC in November, there's a lot of knowledge and experience there you'll be able to milk.
phlip99
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by phlip99 »

Thanks Stu- I'm booked for the NEC so I'll see you there!
Cheers
Phil.
Mark Brash
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Mark Brash »

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll be a t the NEC on the Friday, see what I can find / learn there. Mark
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I used BGC to supply a suitable kit with large vented disc and Willwood 4 pot callipers. Mine are around 298 mm dia which is the largest that will fit inside an alloy wheel ( circa 3-4 mm clear over the calliper) . If you have wire wheels you will have a tad more clearance.
Peter C