Car storage solutions / dehumidifiers / carcoon etc

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Car storage solutions / dehumidifiers / carcoon etc

Post by KevinW »

I shall be putting my car away in its Carcoon shortly. I have the type with an internal tent frame and a damp garage.
It would be interesting to hear people's experience/thoughts on the above.

The carcoon has worked quite well over the last few years of use, but its not perfect. There was a period last winter when there was a 10 degree swing in temperatures in <24 hrs, and as a result my engine, chassis and a few other areas suffered from condensation. On inspection, the engine bay looked like someone had thrown water over it. I dried it all up as best I could but also got me thinking....

At the NEC show this w/e there were a couple of dehumidifier storage solutions, but these run into many thousands, so that's out for me.
e.g. protectbydehum/envi.com

In the summer I met an E-type owner who recommended running a desiccant de-humidifier inside the carcoon, and not bother inflating the tent - claimed the dehumidifier will only switch on intermittently once it has reached its nominal humidity level, no need to run the carcoon fans, else it will be on almost continuously. Tempting, but I cannot use the entry section of the carcoon frame because of the impinging up-and-over garage door, so rely on the fans to inflate this part. New alternative garage door ~£2.5k, not very appealing. Running both fans and dehumidifier continuously will more then triple the power consumption over the 3-4 months it will be in storage..... so....just swallow it?

Thoughts/experience on this topic?
Steve M
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Car storage solutions / dehumidifiers / carcoon etc

Post by Steve M »

Hi Kevin...

I have used (and still own) the outside version of the carcoon which self inflates and runs fans to a) keep inflated and b) reduce condensation.

I stored a mini outdoors in this for a couple of years and suffered no obvious condensation build up even in snow etc.

Not sure if that helps or not!
Cheers
Steve