What size battery

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
simonjrwinter

What size battery

Post by simonjrwinter »

Would people recommend for a Hawk fitted with a 3.5 Rover V8 engine?
Also, is it better to have the + side further under the wing and the - side next to the engine?
Thanks
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: What size battery

Post by clive »

In my case the + terminal is further under the wing and the terminals forward. I would go for the most powerful battery you can and get a battery conditioner too so the battery is always fully charged even over long periods of not being in use. (I am still on my original battery even though it is over 20 years old!)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
cobraboy

Post by cobraboy »

I have an Optima red top. Battery came over as a used battery when I imported a Mustang from the States many years ago, it served the Mustang through 'till I sold it, then went on a Rover P6 for a few years, now it has been on my BRA for a few years, I keep it on a C-TEK conditioner. It has to be the best battery I never bought.
Modern number is RTC - 4.2 It is 50ah 815CCA
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I currently have a 60Amp Varta Silver Dynamic.
First battery from when I built the car lasted 16+ years and was merely a locally made unit. Next one only lasted 5-6 years and I was told that was a good service life!!
I have always used a battery monitor to keep it topped up bearing in mind that the alarm is always taking a trickle even although it not alarmed as such.
I don't think there is any best way of having the battery terminals. My car has the +ve terminal located furthest away from the engine tucked out of the way on the basis of being safer. The +ve lead then traverses to the opposite side for the starter motor via the inside of the bulkhead to make things look a bit neater.
Peter C