Anti freeze choice

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Anti freeze choice

Post by peterc »

Looking through old postings it would appear that antifreeze comes under a similar category as engine oil. That is to say old engines need old style antifreeze. There seems to be a warning to keep away from the modern pink variety. OAT as it is detrimental to the gaskets.
I have over many years used Bluecol which is an ethylene glycol based coolant and it’s always been blue in colour.
Following my recent engine rebuild I needed to purchase some more anti freeze so naturally looked for Bluecol.
It arrived today but it’s pink!,
I have double checked and it definitely states it’s ethylene glycol which I am assuming is the definitive description to deferentiate it from other types.
It’s a shame as I have 2.5 litres of the previous blue variety.
I can only assume that they have just chosen to change the colour.
It says it’s extended life but doesn’t confirm a specific term. E.g. 3 or 5 years.

Peter C
cobraboy

Re: Anti freeze choice

Post by cobraboy »

Ethylene glycol mixed 50:50 with either distilled, or De ionised water is my go to mix.
Having sad that, in the 4.6 I had in my P6 Rover I put in Evans Classic Coolant and got on very well with that.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I buy Blue Ethylene glycol from Smith Allan in 20 litre drums allows for Biannual changes 50:50 with DI water. About 3 changes per drum. Cheapest way in my book.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just placed an order with Smith Allen it’s due in a couple of days.
I did notice it doesn’t go down to such a low temp but then the car is garaged and we do live in the South and not in Iceland.
I didn’t realise antifreeze choice was so complicated.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

As you say Peter, it is less necessary for it's anti-freeze qualities in our cars, but more for it's anti-corrosion properties and the correct type to protect gaskets and seals within the engine.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Agreed Clive.
It would be nice if Bluecol would answer my email query on what are the differences between their red and blue antifreeze which are both ethylene glycol and whether the red is suitable for a Rover V8 with copper and brass in the cooling system.
At present the negatives on the web about red means I will be dumping it/ flushing and then adding blue coloured Ethylene Glycol.
A simple task made difficult by the options.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Correction.
Antifreeze arrived today. It DOES go down to -37 at 50% dilution. Re checked the web site and it confirms so no idea where I read a higher temp.
Still trying to flush out the red.
Peter C
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I have finally received a reply from Bluecol. As follows-

As All antifreeze on the market are mostly ethylene glycol-based regardless of colour and the colour of the product is not important as this is just dye added to indicate the type of additives that is added for performance/anti-corrosion.

The traditional difference between Blue and Red is the chemical nature of the anticorrosion additives used. Blue traditionally used inorganic acid technology (IAT) and Red used Organic acid technology (OAT).

Traditionally there has always been an argument that using OAT in classic engines would cause issues with certain seal materials and compatibility of metals used in the engine/coolant block, which is a narrative often seen online in various online forums. The reality is that OAT-type products are tested to the same standard and need to meet the same performance/compatibility standards as IAT-type products. This is the BS6580:2010 (requirements shown below) meaning they have the same performance and material compatibility.

The reality of the modern era of antifreeze is that most red and blue antifreeze are ethylene glycol based and use OAT. IAT products are becoming increasingly rare due to recent legislation changes that mean they are considered dangerous for a general consumer to use. As a result of this, they are becoming only accessible for the “professional use only” market.

In general, we cannot guarantee using anything that wasn’t recommended by the manufacturer of the engine will not cause damage to some aspects of the system as testing is not completed on every engine type/potential material. As stated in the BS6850:2010 standard:

“Although not comprehensive, this specification ought to help to prevent the marketing of those products which are likely to cause significant damage to the cooling system, either from lack of frost protection or by corrosion. However, although a product might conform with the requirements of this specification, it is also most important, for a particular engine, that careful note be taken of any special requirements indicated by the engine manufacturer.”

It is complicated for the owners of classic cars as we go forward due to such changes in legislation/marketplace drives as it tends to mean products that were produced for their vehicle are no longer produced and alternatives need to be used in their place.

In this instance, we would not expect there to be any issues with using the red antifreeze in place of the blue antifreeze due to the reasons given above. As a final note to the customer our red and blue are miscible with each other and we would expect there to be no problem with mixing blue in with any remnants of the red.

By now I had already flushed out the red several times and added the blue at 50/50.
I think the bottom line is that if you have used blue in the past it’s probably safer to continue with blue. Sometime in the future we may not have any choice but to switch to red much the same accepting the ethanol in petrol.
Peter C