FRONT SUSPENSION UPGRADE

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
kaiserbilly1

FRONT SUSPENSION UPGRADE

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Have now stripped the front suspension of the 289.
Had a good day in the garage today cleaning everything up, re-painting, and fitting new bushes.
All now read to go back on the 289.
Will post more photos when all in place.

regards

Bill :D

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hu Bill,
Looking good! Have you gone off the idea of extending the front hubs then?
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Hawk289

Post by Hawk289 »

Bill,

Spoke to my man, he looked at the picture and said yes, but "I hope you have a lot of cash!!". As Roger said, he will need a lump of metal, then mill away. He recon it would be cheaper to change the suspension arms?

Anyway, sorry it does not help :cry:

Thanks

John
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

I have gone off the idea of making the hubs wider, cost etc.
We are going to cut & weld an extra inch into each of the wishbones.
This will put no extra load on the front bearings, and will give me that extra inch to fill out the front wheel arches, whilst increasing the front track width.
I'll post some more photos during the alterations, and once the job is finished.

regards

Bill :?
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill,
I think this is a better way to go rather than the "hub method" Are your shocks adjustable? The reason I ask is that there will be another inch of leverage on your suspension arms and I'm not sure if it will make any difference to movement and ride height.
Cheers, Clive.

kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Hi Clive

This is the front set up that Colin Newbold runs on his 289, with a Ford 305, so it should be no problem :wink:

regards

Bill
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

kaiserbilly1 wrote:I have gone off the idea of making the hubs wider, cost etc.
We are going to cut & weld an extra inch into each of the wishbones.
This will put no extra load on the front bearings, and will give me that extra inch to fill out the front wheel arches, whilst increasing the front track width.
I'll post some more photos during the alterations, and once the job is finished.

regards

Bill :?
Your roll centres will change...

Roger
David Large

Post by David Large »

You may run out of threads on the ends of the steering rack where the track rod ends screw on.

Simply cutting and shutting the suspension arms and inserting 1" sounds a bit hazardous to me with a lot of reliance on butt welds in the middle of the arms.

Just a thought.

I have negative camber lower arms on my car which were a bought as opposed to a modified item. Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here Bill.

Cheers
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

David Large wrote:You may run out of threads on the ends of the steering rack where the track rod ends screw on.

Simply cutting and shutting the suspension arms and inserting 1" sounds a bit hazardous to me with a lot of reliance on butt welds in the middle of the arms.

Just a thought.

I have negative camber lower arms on my car which were a bought as opposed to a modified item. Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here Bill.

Cheers
...what he said.

Cutting and welding suspension arms and wishbones would require the accurate construction of jigs. Wishbones, by their very nature, converge, so you'd need to change the angles at the fulcrums. You would clearly do better to make fresh wishbones from scratch.
I'm assuming you have Gerry's tubular front suspension setup - if you haven't, that is an obvious way forward. There are two different sets - one for a 'slabside', and one for a 'FIA'. You might benefit by asking Gerry for advice.
You could, of course, simply change the offset on your wheels.

Roger
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill,
I've been thinking about your upgrade today and I can only agree with Roger. To me it is the only safe way to go.
Cheers, Clive.