FRONT SUSPENSION UPGRADE

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Gents

Many thanks for all the input into this one.
Taking all you points into consideration, my mechanic / engineering chum & I have come up with a solution to all this, I will post some pictures tomorrow I hope.
Roger, I have the standard "B" set up at the front, was not prepared to pay £800.00 + VAT for the Gerry set up.

regards

Bill
David Large

Post by David Large »

Bill,

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Roger,

Not exactly sure I understand your post where you use my quote. Was I talking nonsense

Cheers
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

David Large wrote:Not exactly sure I understand your post where you use my quote. Was I talking nonsense
'what he said' as in 'what he said is correct'.

Bill, Gerry's setup is excellent - adjustable, well made and very effective. You won't improve on it - and I very much doubt you could replicate it for £800. Making new wishbones properly, and the parts that would have to go with them, would not be cheap. Custom work never is.

Gerry, if you're reading this, that'll be the usual cheque to this address please.

R
richmixture

Post by richmixture »

gents,

i dont understand why all the hassle of re-inventing the wheel, if its not broken, dont fix it!

the only reason I see why you would want to change a setup is that you are not happy with the current performance, thus, with so many things tried and tested the only sensible option is to go with one of those surley.

I always find that engineering things is good for thinking, but it can be costly with total crap results, which in the end make you think, why the hell did i change all this for something that worked before.

Just a thought here. i can see an ol' bollox moment on the horizon - esp with the weather being so good!

:?
Kris
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Bill, I have been reading the Hawk website and they claim the front tubular upgrade does not alter the track! However there is also a link to http://www.hoyle-engineering.co.uk the firm that Hawk Cars use. Maybe worth a call.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Bill, I have been reading the Hawk website and they claim the front tubular upgrade does not alter the track! However there is also a link to http://www.hoyle-engineering.co.uk the firm that Hawk Cars use. Maybe worth a call.
Hmm. I can see this heading the same way as the spinners issue - I now withdraw from this conversation!

Roger
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Roger, the link is on the Hawk website, so I assume it is there to be used!
Cheers, Clive.

David Large

Post by David Large »

Hmm. I can see this heading the same way as the spinners issue - I now withdraw from this conversation!

Roger[/quote]

?????????????????????

Cheers
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Gents

The new front set up is now complete.
The transformation in the ride and handling is amazing, it's like driving a modern car. Turn in is really sharp, no crashing over the bumps any more, everything feels VERY tight.
The old lever arms has been replaced with a proper top wishbone, Billsteen shocker, and poly bushes all round, including the front anti roll bar. This kit is available from Moss.
The only modification was to extend the wishbones by 1 inch. These have been TIG welded with extra strengthening inserted by way of steel bars on the inner side of the wishbone. We machined an inch and a half nut to extend the track rod too, this you can see in the pictures.
This means that the wheels fill the arches and give the car a very authentic look.

Regards

Bill :D :D :D :D :D
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Bill,
It certainally looks a very neat set-up. Top job! :lol:
Cheers, Clive.