brackets to body

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Roger King

Re: brackets to body

Post by Roger King »

nikbj68 wrote:
Roger King wrote:
Cotton Mouth wrote:...I really sorry to have to ask but what is a "universal adjuster"?
Sparrow, you will never qualify at this rate. A 'universal adjuster' is a slightly bigger version of what you were using last week to test Mrs Loosebracket's patella tendon reflexes, but not made of rubber. Please try to keep up.
SLS
You neglected to say whether you used an Imperial(correct) or Metric(SO wrong) universal adjuster, which could be where the misconfusion arose from, and you really should clarify which method was used: over- or underarm. :roll:
Well now - this starts an interesting debate. Being a yank hybrid there are, of course, two types of Imperial fittings on a Cobra. Should the UA be UNF, or UNC? I would lean to the thinking that as we're talking about a body part, UNF is more appropriate due to the Britishness of the component.

I can't help thinking that overarm application of said instrument to a Mazak 'AC' badge might be a little OTT, however. I think mine was close enough not to need any adjustment - but I use the original two-pin fixings (of course - what did you expect?), so a slight gap, as per the originals, was deemed acceptable.
kaiserbilly1

Post by kaiserbilly1 »

Quite a few in the running now for the 2010 Anorak Award :shock: :wink:
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

Why is it that all I can hear is the sound of white coats flapping? Lord I'm dense. Returning to something approaching the first question does anyone have any thoughts on putting 3/4" (note the use of imperial ,so be gentle) through fibre glass gell coat? It is for mounting the front indicator lights. Step drill? blacksmiths drill of 3/4" straight through? 1/2" and enlarge with a grinder? How do the great and the good work their magic? Also would anyone have a picture of how the boot stay is mounted - I'm adapting one from another project.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

James, if you have access to a compressor of decent capacity there is only one way to go. Make pilot holes of 7/16" or so, and get an air-driven die grinder. This is a thing like an air-driven Dremel, thus much faster and much more effective. Snap-on make a great tungsten flame bur to fit it, and you can trim fibreglass like a knife through butter, leaving a lovely smooth edge. Bit like big dentistry, really, but without the whingeing 'feedback'.

Whatever you do, don't try to drill large holes with a large drill of the size you want to end up at. Drill undersize and file larger.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger, I never thought I would hear you say your patients were Wingers! :roll: :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:Roger, I never thought I would hear you say your patients were Wingers! :roll: :wink:
Not really sure about their footballing activities - I've never actually asked them.
Cotton Mouth
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by Cotton Mouth »

I do like this site. Many thanks to you all. Better add "compressor of decent size" to the wife's Christmas list.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Cotton Mouth wrote:...does anyone have any thoughts on putting 3/4" (note the use of imperial ,so be gentle) through fibre glass gell coat? It is for mounting the front indicator lights...
As it`s only for clearance, I`d be quite happy to just use a holesaw like this:
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!