Oil Change Service Intervals.

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Oil Change Service Intervals.

Post by clive »

My 1968 Ford 302 has covered 6,000 miles since October. I use non-synthetic SAE 20/50 oil. What service intervals should I use?
I will be changing the oil before I go to Silverstone but wondered if there was a specific service interval for mineral oils. (If I remember back to the 60s/70s I used to change my oil twice a year)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
David Large

Post by David Large »

Clive,

I seem to recall that mineral oil changes were at 6,000 mile intervals. Sevice schedules used to go 6, 12, 18, 24, 30k etc etc.
I only do about 2000 miles per annum and I change my oil & filter every spring.

Cheers
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Thanks David, that's what I seem to remember too. I just wondered if there was any increase in frequency nowadays or not. My BMW Diesel 330 only gets an oil change every 20,000 miles!
Still better safe than sorry, good job for next week then!
Cheers, Clive.

David Large

Post by David Large »

Clive,

I have a 330dTouring and I agree the service intervals do not seem normal to us older folk.
I think it is a great car but it is going in next week for a new wheel bearing (29,000 miles) and when it was new i had problems with the on board computer which baffled the dealer for a while. It is also amazing that it has an average fuel consumption of 40mpg.

cheers
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Migge

Post by Migge »

Depends on your driving. Mainly town cruising every 5000km or every 10000km if using motorways and normal B roads. At least once a year. Always mineral and 20/50. Was just yesterday at a V8 garage and asked again for that and they confirmed.

Cheers
Michael
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Migge wrote:Always mineral and 20/50.
Why? I use Silkolene 5W/50 fully synthetic - the car sits for long periods without running, and synthetic gives much better long-chain protection for cold starts. Many US owners use synthetics, too - you need to be careful which minerals you use, as their constituents change with the times and there have been several instances in the States of mineral oils allowing the lobes to be wiped off flat-tappet cams.

Roger
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Roger,
The reason why you should use non-synthetic oil in older engines is because the synthetic oils primarily contain less additives, especially zinc, and this is harmful to the inner engine seals and consequently reduce the life of the engine.
I spoke to Peter Knight of Knight Racing Services (My engine supplier) http://www.knightracingservices.co.uk this morning and he told me to never use synthetic oil and preferably use Valvoline 20-50 (But not 20-50 racing oil) He also recommended using Blue anti-freeze.
Cheers, Clive.

Migge

Post by Migge »

They told me because of the tolerances old engines have compared to new engines. I know a few of the 1/4 mile guys, they all use 20/50 from Lucas. They are up to 2500 HP in the modified class.

I'm not an engine builder, just taking advice from the engine builders.

Cheers
Migge
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Not been able to get Valvoline so phoned Peter Knight who recommended Millers Oils http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers_frame_CLASSIC.htm
Cheers, Clive.