Sikaflex

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Sikaflex

Post by StewbieC »

Which is the prefered type of Sikaflex for sealing the pedal box against the body.

Cheers for the help guys.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: Sikaflex

Post by clive »

Hi Stu,
I didn't cut out a large rectangular hole but three small holes the size and shape of the master cylinders. I then used Holts Seelastik to seal around the pedalbox. Sikaflex is permanent and personally I would avoid it for that reason.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Hi Clive,
I like that idea. It should maintain more strength in the footwell.
Thanks for the tip. :D
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The footwell boxes are plenty strong enough...

Sikkaflex is a PU sealant, and as already mentioned once on, doesn't come off without a very sharp blade etc. Seelastik is fine for this application but can become messy, as it never sets.
If you want to use a PU, Tigerseal is probably the easiest to find on the 'net, and works just as well as Sikkaflex.
Colin Newbold

Post by Colin Newbold »

Presumably Clive, you've got a gap around the edge of the pedal box because its normally recessed so as to fit flush against the hole that's cut out? Size does matter if you have long legs - every extra 1/4 inch helps!

Colin
"How you see yourself is all very well, but it's how others see you that will determine the results you get as a leader!"
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I've ordered the sikaflex, only because I could get it in 100ml tubes. Which is probably enough to do that job. I did a bit of research and the majority of people, who commented, agreed that the PU sealant is best applied in one go and what ever is left is only good for the bin.

Just hope this flippin snow freeks off now! Global warming I thing we should all run our V8's at a set time to create some more CO2!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:I've ordered the sikaflex, only because I could get it in 100ml tubes. Which is probably enough to do that job. I did a bit of research and the majority of people, who commented, agreed that the PU sealant is best applied in one go and what ever is left is only good for the bin.

Just hope this flippin snow freeks off now! Global warming I thing we should all run our V8's at a set time to create some more CO2!
Warm the tubes or you'll never get the stuff out.
I use one of these - see item 6. Takes the pain out of the job (but then, I probably use an awful lot more of the stuff than you will!)
http://www.draper.co.uk/catalogue/Pagesource/p574.pdf
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Roger King wrote:I use one of these - see item 6. Takes the pain out of the job (but then, I probably use an awful lot more of the stuff than you will!)
http://www.draper.co.uk/catalogue/Pagesource/p574.pdf
But then you can also use it for work too. :twisted: :wink:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

StewbieC wrote:I've ordered the sikaflex, only because I could get it in 100ml tubes. Which is probably enough to do that job. I did a bit of research and the majority of people, who commented, agreed that the PU sealant is best applied in one go and what ever is left is only good for the bin.

Sorry guys, I meant I've ordered the Seelastik. :oops: (Senior moment, well I am nearly 40!)

Thanks for the advice.