Wiring loom

Technical Area for all the problems you have in the garage
Karl

Wiring loom

Post by Karl »

Has anybody used HAWK´s wiring loom? I would be interested in what switches come with the loom and how do they look like?
Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl,
I used the Hawk wiring loom and found it to be excellent. It proved to be a very neat fit with most of the wires able to be tucked away out of sight to leave a very uncluttered engine bay. I have a Ford 302 engine so do not have any engine ECU issues.
The switches are very authentic and this is one of the main reasons I chose the Hawk because of it's attention to detail and authenticity. There are certain constraints as to the positioning of the switches laid down by the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) here in the UK but I'm not sure if they will apply to your build.

Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hello Clive
thanks for the pictures. Is that Gerry`s SVA dash? I have the same. My car must go through the SVA in the UK as well, because over here "amateur build vehicles" are not existant and there are no regulations for that!
Is it possible to mount toggle switches in the positions shown? I was thinking everything must be flat and round. I was going for push and pull/turn type switches, for example Horn - push, lights -pull-pull, Washer push, wiper pull - turn and so on.
Regards Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl
Yes it is Gerry's SVA dash. The only difference between then and now is that for the SVA I did not have the dash covered in leather or the glovebox fitted. I also had an SVA compliant steering wheel fitted. The switches are mounted in an area that is exempt from the radius rule (Behind the steering wheel) so you can use toggle switches.

This link will take you to the SVA Manual (Page 96, Section 6 gives details of the exempt areas.)
http://www.rootpeg.net/SVAMarch2004.pdf

Cheers, Clive.

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl,
This is how the original 289 dashes looked. Gerry's is pretty close! :D

http://allthingscobra.tripod.com/imagel ... et=tlx_new
Cheers, Clive.

clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl,
The switces I have to the left of the steering wheel are (from top to bottom) Heater blower, wiper and lights (One for off/side/headlight and one for dip/main beam) To the right of the steering wheel I have Hazard, screenwash and rear fog. These are more modern type switches and are less obvious under the scuttle so not easily seen.

Cheers, Clive.

Karl

Post by Karl »

Yes Clive, I was thinking of a similar arrangment. What is that oval shaped part with the red dot on the botton left of the speedo? Is that part of Gerry´s supply? Is he actually supplying the toggle switches and also the modern ones? I need to ask him if he can supply a loom without switches, so I can select what I like. I have a new old stock Hella step relay, which I want to activate from the switch of the indicator stalk and will operate headlight flash or dipped/main beam when the lights are switched on.
regards Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl,
The oval part you refer to is the immobiliser switch. You touch the key fob on the terminals to dis-arm the ignition immobiliser. (Another SVA requirement).

Cheers, Clive.

Karl

Post by Karl »

And I was thinking just a battery main isolator switch would do!
Regards Karl
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Karl.
I don't want to appear to be an "Anorak" but see Annex 2a of the Enhanced Requirements (Immobiliser Requirements) of the SVA manual (Page 55). :?
Cheers, Clive.