289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
User avatar
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Surrey/Hampshire
Contact:

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 am

Lots of small jobs that I've been putting off forever!

First up, fitting bonnet latches. I put the proper ones on, but had to replace them with IVA-compliant home-made escutcheons.

Here is the handle and the hole I cut. The kit comes with two different length screws for this, and according to the instructions you need to cut down 'screw B' which is the shorter of the two. In reality, screw B was not long enough even to come through the bonnet, so perhaps bonnet or handle thickness has changed since the instructions were written. I had to go and buy some slotted raised-head countersunk M4 screws that were 40mm long instead.
IMG_2343.JPG
Hole and handle
Handle sits nicely in the hole:
IMG_2342.JPG
Handle in hole
Ultimately, the handles were replaced by escutcheons. You can get ready-made ones from Europa for about £5 each, but I thought fabricating them was more cost-effective. Welded up a key for the mechanism too.
IMG_2381.JPG
T-bar key for bonnet lock
Following Stu's build I decided to put the bonnet stay down the length of the engine bay instead of across the bulkhead as the build manual suggests. Made a folded-over ally bracket for this purpose, but need to make the other end with the clip still:
IMG_2344.JPG
Bonnet stay - fabricated mounting
IMG_2345.JPG
Bonnet stay in place
IMG_2346.JPG
Bonnet stay - engine bay view

peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:05 am

Re: 289 build

Post by peterc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Yes, agree that down the side of the engine bay is better as you can get the bonnet parked higher up. It’s a bit up market having a rose jointed prop though isn’t it? Sure they didn’t do that in ‘64.
Mine’s simply poked through a rubber grommet to allow for the slight sideways movement. OEM from a scrapyard but can’t remember the model of car - probably a Ford.
Peter C

User avatar
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Surrey/Hampshire
Contact:

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:20 pm

peterc wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:17 pm
Yes, agree that down the side of the engine bay is better as you can get the bonnet parked higher up. It’s a bit up market having a rose jointed prop though isn’t it? Sure they didn’t do that in ‘64.
Mine’s simply poked through a rubber grommet to allow for the slight sideways movement. OEM from a scrapyard but can’t remember the model of car - probably a Ford.
Peter C
Probably right! Just went with what Gerry supplied to be honest... I’m just concentrating on getting stuff done now, rather than making if correct. Time for that later!

User avatar
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee
Posts: 710
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 2:30 pm
Location: Surrey/Hampshire
Contact:

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 am

I can confirm that Speedograph Richfield are indeed great - they made a speedo cable in a couple of days and had my speedo calibrated within a week.
IMG_2382.JPG
Speedo calibrated
We started work on putting the throttle linkage together, doing a trial assembly with some threaded studding that Gerry kindly supplied. Once it all fits and works we can make it up in stainless steel rod.

Here's what came with the kit:
IMG_2383.JPG
Throttle linkage parts
Here's a mockup of the linkage on the bench:
IMG_2386.JPG
Throttle linkage mock-up
Due to my aftermarket heads and intake, the bracket for the carb end that Gerry supplies doesn't work well. So we began making a new one that is a bit like what Jon Towers and his brother did here: http://jontowers.co.uk/cobra289/categor ... e-linkage/

Ours currently doesn't look that pretty unfortunately, but is coming along:
IMG_2388.jpg
New bracket for throttle linkage

Post Reply