BRA project

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Sergio

BRA project

Post by Sergio »

Dears, I need your help!!
I am quite close to buy a BRA 289....yes..and sometimes I feel that it is the biggest mistake that I could do...but I like that car and cannot stop it
The car is registered 1991 and is rover engined.
I suppose the donor in an MGB but not sure.
I would change engine, suspension, brakes...but for the moment I just would collect as much informaion as possible on this car, and here comes my HELP request
I understand that exist a sort of manual from BRA is there anybody that could provide me a copy?
Does exist a sort of BRA register where to catch additional info on my car?
Is there someone that already walked on this steps that can give me good advice?
Does exist a sort of BRA expert maybe a former BRA manufacturer that can be reached for few advives? Do you have contacts of him.
Thanks for any help you can provide me...I will keep the forum updated with pictures of the project.
Ciao
Sergio
David Large

Re: BRA project

Post by David Large »

Sergio,

I have a BRA 289 which we built in the 1980s and put on the road in 1989. It is a pretty conventional BRA car more or less as intended by the manufacturer.I can supply you with a copy of the BRA brochure and a copy of the build manual - but don't expect it to help you a lot. The donor for your car would be MGB.

If you want highly a modified BRA then Migge will I am sure be along shortly and he is THE expert on how to build a top notch BRA. There is a whole section on his build on this forum. If you want to build a world class car then Migge is your man.

There is no longer a specific club or register for BRA cars - there used to be but it closed a good number of years ago.

I will mail you the documents I have later this week.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Hi David,
thanks a lot for your support, I really apreciate.
I have seen many of your posts and of course the fantastic and quite drastic work of Miggie, and honestly I wished to be in touch with both of you.
I will post you my technical question as they will come.
Thanks again for your time!!
sergio
Migge

Post by Migge »

No problem Sergio,

ask what ever you want, I'll try to give some help as long as I can.

Cheers
Migge
Special customized BRA289
David Large

Post by David Large »

My recollection is that it is a major job to fit a small block Ford or Chevy engine to a BRA 289 chassis - any comments Migge?

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
Migge

Post by Migge »

Depends on how much you would change the "foot boxes" and which BRA you have, series I or II, firewall etc..

The more you would like to change, the more comes the question on mind: why not welding a new frame/chassis if the body is all you want to keep!
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Good morning gents...I am on board of my flight to CGN...perfect moment to post an answer.

I am sure that it is a so big challenge that probably will take years, effort and of course a lot of money.....but the question is: which is the best way to have fun with a so expensive (not only in terms of money) toy and at the same time preserve the investment?
Let me share with you the idea that is at the root of my decision. Bear in mind that this is only my opinion so I will appreciate your one. I will always make profit of your opinion as you are or sure much more experienced than me.

Fundamental postulates :
- Do not expect to do a business but just target to give value (not only economical) to the work spent on it
- give value means to take personal benefit (relax, distractions, satisfactions, adrenaline, etc) and just try to recover at least the money spent on it
- the best way to give value is to have an original ac 289 csx2xxx may be found abandoned in a farm and restore it....but this happens only in the movie not in real life. Nowadays all the original csx are well known, perfectly restores so nothing to do on it and what is not a detail it cost over 500K.
- other option is to have a replica with a certain historical value. Such value comes from the project age, manufacturer history, connection with the original designers and more over it is given by the similarity with the original one in terms of shape and details.
- in order to increase the final margin the initial investment must be the lowest one but without compromizing the affordability
- half of the name of the car is 289. Such half gave and gives to the car half ( or even more) of fame, fashion, emotion and thus value
- to be also considered that I am in Italy and there is a different perception of the historical value of the car. An AC cobra 289 without a 289 cobra engine, sounds like a Dino Ferrari with a FIAT engine...maybe good but definitely without value.
On the base of above criteria I decided to approach a BRA.

The engine installation will be quite a long job and a lot of calculations....but this is the nice part of the job. What makes me little bit nervous are, the registration process as in Italy could take years to have the registration document duly updated with the correct engine, and then the lack of the old chaps experienced artisans, really essential providers. Unfortunately in Italy during the last ten years such part of the automotive satellite activities went disappearing chocked by the crisis.

hope to do not have you bored too much.
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Good morning gents...I am on board of my flight to CGN...perfect moment to post an answer.

I am sure that it is a so big challenge that probably will take years, effort and of course a lot of money.....but the question is: which is the best way to have fun with a so expensive (not only in terms of money) toy and at the same time preserve the investment?
Let me share with you the idea that is at the root of my decision. Bear in mind that this is only my opinion so I will appreciate your one. I will always make profit of your opinion as you are or sure much more experienced than me.

Fundamental postulates :
- Do not expect to do a business but just target to give value (not only economical) to the work spent on it
- give value means to take personal benefit (relax, distractions, satisfactions, adrenaline, etc) and just try to recover at least the money spent on it
- the best way to give value is to have an original ac 289 csx2xxx may be found abandoned in a farm and restore it....but this happens only in the movie not in real life. Nowadays all the original csx are well known, perfectly restores so nothing to do on it and what is not a detail it cost over 500K.
- other option is to have a replica with a certain historical value. Such value comes from the project age, manufacturer history, connection with the original designers and more over it is given by the similarity with the original one in terms of shape and details.
- in order to increase the final margin the initial investment must be the lowest one but without compromizing the affordability
- half of the name of the car is 289. Such half gave and gives to the car half ( or even more) of fame, fashion, emotion and thus value
- to be also considered that I am in Italy and there is a different perception of the historical value of the car. An AC cobra 289 without a 289 cobra engine, sounds like a Dino Ferrari with a FIAT engine...maybe good but definitely without value.
On the base of above criteria I decided to approach a BRA.

The engine installation will be quite a long job and a lot of calculations....but this is the nice part of the job. What makes me little bit nervous are, the registration process as in Italy could take years to have the registration document duly updated with the correct engine, and then the lack of the old chaps experienced artisans, really essential providers. Unfortunately in Italy during the last ten years such part of the automotive satellite activities went disappearing chocked by the crisis.

hope to do not have you bored too much.
Migge

Post by Migge »

Any news Sergio?
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

No worries I am not disappeared I am just studing behind the window...
There are many factors that keep me waiting, one of those is for sure the unfriendly italian legislation for the immatricolation of foreign cars.....do not talk about foreign kit car without a well know brand.
I would avoid to work and spend money for a car that must remain static ...