289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 slabside build

Post by StewbieC »

Roger King wrote:
StewbieC wrote:Working in Maintenance for 20 years I've had my hands in far worse things than Denso tape. :twisted:
Listen mate, 35 years of dentistry (including the first 10 years in the pre-glove era) means my hands have been in much nastier stuff than yours!

You know how old people can smell of cabbage? Well, they keep quite a lot of it, semi-digested and often for weeks, under their dentures... and the feeling of satisfaction when you stick a scalpel in an abscess the size of a golf ball is quite something, although the pus has been known to hit the wall on the other side of the room.
I'm not going to argue with the "gaffer" at least us private patients have asparagus and samphire stuck in the recesses of our teeth! I was referring to the Jensen wuss by the way! But have to agree with Clints expression! Puss yuck!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Glad I'd had my dinner before I read the above.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Interlink just came, and we're all set for an evening of Denso tape and Molyslip OGL!
moly-slip.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Perfect, have fun.
Won't be very long before you realise why I wore latex gloves to do mine.

At least your springs will be hidden under the back of the car. My front one is well into the engine bay, and that blasted tape stays sticky and gooey for ever. Every time you rest your hand on it to reach something... yuk
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

A bit disappointed to report that we didn't get very far tonight, owing to the replacement bolt supplied in the 'special packer' kit being too short. The manual says to remove the supplied bolt (3" long) and put the replacement bolt from the packer kit in. It doesn't say how long this should be, but what I've got is 3.5".

At this length and with both packers installed, there's not enough thread exposed to put the nyloc nut on. We compressed it a bit with the vice, but no luck as you can see:
replacement-bolt-for-spring.jpeg
replacement-bolt-for-spring-2.jpeg
Looking at Stu's photos in his built diary (page 2 of this PDF: http://www.the289register.com/stuart/Part%209.pdf) there's clearly plenty of thread sticking out of the top of the nut. Our bolt barely emerges from the black spacer to put the nut on.

A bit disappointed really, but I'll give Gerry a call in the morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

Have you got the bolt fitted the wrong way round?
I don't think you use the cylindrical spacer. The machined head of the new bolt does that bit?

Just check and see and if you have any concerns I'll check for you over the weekend as I've got a spare set of springs with the original spacers fitted.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Stu -
Just heard from Gerry and the bolts should be 4" apparently. I think I've got the order right, looking at your photos. Unfortunately the pic in the build manual is pretty small and of limited use.

I've labelled the bits in this photo:

Cheers, A.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Alan - that's a good photo and confirms what I thought I was doing is right! Phew...