289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: 289 build

Post by peterc »

Hi Andrew,
Hope you can get a new engine mount quickly enough. It might be just the angle/ perspective but photo suggests that maybe the two sections of steel are no longer parallel.
Best of luck for tomorrow.
Peter C
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Hi Andrew, I bet you can't sleep tonight! It's just like waiting for Santa when you were young. Good luck for tomorrow.

(Just a thought about your engine mounts. You are aware that Ford mounts are handed?)
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks chaps - fingers crossed!

It could be that I didn't install them correctly. I'm sure we discovered the handedness of the mounts, but maybe we didn't have the bolts tight enough before the engine's weight was on them, so the two halves went non-parallel and have caused early failure. Looking on Summit's site, I see that new ones are about $15, while poly versions are 10 times the price!

Anyway - got an early start tomorrow so signing off now - will let you know how it goes...

Cheers,Andy
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

6 degrees, and a rain and wind weather warning for my trip down to Southampton DVSA Office this morning. Think I should move to California!
1E7783A3-B673-47B4-9093-873458023D8D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

I think you have the wettest day yet in April. Still at least you are getting it there by trailer.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Well, that was interesting. Nice bloke at Southampton called Mark did my test. He was very reasonable and thorough, but the overall result wasn't a pass unfortunately. Main thing was that the speedo was out of calibration (despite being calibrated) so maybe we measured it wrongly or something.

Other points:

1. I need a collapsible steering-wheel boss apparently.

2. Slight gap where side vents are needs a bit of edging strip to get a better radius.

3. Speedo reading 40 but actual speed 42mph

4. Fog lamps are too low (were ok until I filled it with fuel!)

5. One seat-belt bolt loose.

6. Aeroscreen not E-marked.

7. Track-rod end locknut loose.

8. A loop of wire hanging down beneath dashboard slightly needs tidying so it is not caught when getting in/out.

9. Engine mount bolts need a washer and a longer bolt. Annoyingly I fitted them the wrong way round, so the exhaust has to come off for this! I put the head near the exhaust downpipe so that the nylon in the nyloc would not get frazzled, but of course that means you have to remove the downpipe to remove the bolt now. Argh.

Overall, he was complimentary, saying that he's been in a quite a few Cobra replicas but that this one felt good and well-built without any of the usual rattles you get. I think that's more testament to the quality of Gerry's fibreglass and chassis than to anything I've done, but was good to hear anyway.

Not to worry - at least it isn't another 500 quid for a re-test.
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

Well done Andy, nothing really serious and should be easily fixed. Take the positives and get the retest booked ASAP. Summer is just round the corner.
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

A more than workable list is that.
Soon rattle through that and back and a pass!
simonjrwinter

Post by simonjrwinter »

Excellent news, the re-test is just on the fail points?
Simon
TR6 (V8) Hawk 289 FIA (V8) Doing my bit for global warming.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Well done.
I am not sure you can get the fog light any higher. I checked the mounting bolts if you remember and I thought it was tight up to the rear valance. I had the same comment during my SVA but the tester decided to ignore it as not being a big issue.
Looks like he didn’t spot the crack in the engine mount rubber then.
I guess you may now need to fit a proper screen unless you know of an E marked item.
Peter C