289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Roger King

Re: 289 slabside build

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:
Roger King wrote:
amulheirn wrote:We sprayed it dark Ford blue, which I since discovered is probably wrong.
Just a little note for completeness' sake - all 289 Cobra engine blocks were painted black.
Yeah - thanks Roger. It was from you that I discovered I had painted it wrong originally! Ho hum. I could do without prepping the darn thing for paint again, but it has to be done. Does anyone have recommendations on block paint?
I just use generic black VHT engine enamel in cans. One can goes a very long way and there's no need for primer.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Getting ready to install the axle on Thursday - hopefully. Checking I've got all I need from Gerry:
rear-suspension - 1.jpg
rear-suspension - 2.jpg
rear-suspension - 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

That looks about right.
I ended up taking the spacers out to improve ground clearance as the springs will settle. I also greased the springs and wrapped them in Denso tape which firms them slightly. Much easier to wrap them before fitting, but it's your call if you do or don't.
I carry a spare wheel, tools, fire extinguisher and the hood in the boot so there's a bit of load in there. This combination gives about an inch of clearance between tyre and arch all the way around.
When you first fit the body it sits very high but after a few thousand miles the springs do settle by quite a bit.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Ah - Denso tape! I forgot that - and have just ordered some for express delivery tomorrow. Thanks...
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Stu - did you do what this chap did? http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jensenmonday ... prings.htm
I wondered if there was a better way than tie-wraps - looping the Denso tape back under itself each time or something.

Obviously this wouldn't have been an original feature of these cars, but I'm just keen to protect the investment!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Aha, young Andrew - that's where you're wrong! Denso tape was indeed an original factory treatment for the springs - but of course they were transverse leafs, not the bilateral backend things you have.
Wrapped in Denso tape after slathering liberally with OGL or Open Gear Lubricant. I did write this up a fairly recent mag as part of the series on my car, can't remember which issue, sorry.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Whoops - of course! And I think I read your article, so i'll dig it out. I should think twice before typing...

Edit: It was in the autumn 2014 edition. Thanks Roger.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Good grief, was it that long ago? And that was written over a year after I'd done them...
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

I didn't need cable ties and didn't cut the tape down into 18" strips. Use latex gloves! The chap that wrote that article sounds like a right wuss! Working in Maintenance for 20 years I've had my hands in far worse things than Denso tape. :twisted:
But I would advise latex gloves as it just saves the scrubbing with swarfega mixed with aluminium oxide!

Follow Rogers recommendations and you wont go far wrong!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

StewbieC wrote:Working in Maintenance for 20 years I've had my hands in far worse things than Denso tape. :twisted:
Listen mate, 35 years of dentistry (including the first 10 years in the pre-glove era) means my hands have been in much nastier stuff than yours!

You know how old people can smell of cabbage? Well, they keep quite a lot of it, semi-digested and often for weeks, under their dentures... and the feeling of satisfaction when you stick a scalpel in an abscess the size of a golf ball is quite something, although the pus has been known to hit the wall on the other side of the room.