289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn »

I treated myself to a day off work - spent in the garage doing a few bits....

Just wanted to say happy Christmas to you all, and thanks to those who have helped, advised, dropped in to visit, donated/sold me parts or even just followed this thread this year. It all helps keep me moving forward. I'll have four wheels on the damn thing by January if it kills me.

Have a peaceful Christmas and see you in the New Year.

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Hi Andrew,
Your photo makes it look cosy but I know that in reality the garage is rather cool to say the least.
Merry Christmas and keep up the good work.

I know we all like to be independently minded but if you need to pop over to see mine and how something should or shouldn't be fitted then drop me a mail.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Peter - yes - I had three bars on the electric fire for that shot, just to demist the camera lens!

Thanks for your help and sage advice this year - will do. I got your email too - just not had time to reply.

Cheers and happy christmas!

Andrew
KevinW
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by KevinW »

Garage looks remarkably similar construction to my own ...except i have an asbestos roof and the original '70s grey concrete block finish ....and a lot more damp - wish mine looked that nice on the inside!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Looks very much like the steel and asbestos Arcon prefab we lived in when I was a kid, when the family transport was a Matchless 600 with a Busmar Astral bolted to it.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Current state of play!

Dashboard temporarily fitted for column alignment:

Engine-bay ally done - needs the greasy fingerprints wiping off!

Reservoirs fitted (thanks to PeterA for these). Need to do the final section of hard pipe runs into the cylinders now:

Ally inner wings done (don't worry - the axle stands aren't supporting anything here):

Pedal box and balance bar fitted:

Upper steering column installed:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

It's looking good Andrew,
Ref the upside down pose, I suggest that you get used to it as it will become quite a regular requirement. I hope your younger eyesight can cope with focusing only 10" from your nose as needing to wear reading glasses is a pain when you head is under the dash.

You might consider moving the clutch reservoir to being a direct mounting on the master cylinder which I think is more original.
Peter C
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Peter and catsx11!

I thought I would change to the more original reservoir arrangement later on - I've got a few links to suppliers of the decals and reservoirs stored in the wiki, but will pursue that one when IVA is done. I had wondered in an idle moment whether there is any way that a level indicator switch could be built into those older style reservoirs so that I could retain both originality and safety, but not developed that thought much further.

Progress is coming along nicely. I trimmed the proud end of the steering column and pinion shaft yesterday (as per the manual), there is still slight binding in the steering. Peter - do you recall trimming the Hawk-supplied mid section when you built yours? There's plenty of length in those splines. I'd ring Gerry up but I think he's in Poland.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:Thanks Peter and catsx11!

I thought I would change to the more original reservoir arrangement later on - I've got a few links to suppliers of the decals and reservoirs stored in the wiki, but will pursue that one when IVA is done. I had wondered in an idle moment whether there is any way that a level indicator switch could be built into those older style reservoirs so that I could retain both originality and safety, but not developed that thought much further.

Progress is coming along nicely. I trimmed the proud end of the steering column and pinion shaft yesterday (as per the manual), there is still slight binding in the steering. Peter - do you recall trimming the Hawk-supplied mid section when you built yours? There's plenty of length in those splines. I'd ring Gerry up but I think he's in Poland.
Looking good, Andrew.
No decals originally, just plain black short reservoirs at the top of the footwell connected by rigid pipe to the two brake m/cylinders. Clutch reservoir was integral with master cylinder - but probably not a good idea on a Hawk. The reservoir is easy to reach on original cars from below, but Hawks have a fibreglass 'floor' in the way.
Safety? We used to do (and some of us still do) a regular fluid levels check as a routine. Helps you keep on top of the car generally. The more you rely on idiot lights, the more detached you become from the bits that do the work, in my view. They're not known as idiot lights for nothing...