289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn »

Ah yes - I think it'll be the same as the back one won't it?

When we did the back, I was on an evening course in welding at Bracknell college where you were allowed to use milling machines and lathes too. So I bought the right kind of socket, but its walls were too thick to get down inside the hub. So we (well the tutor) turned it down in a lathe to make it fit. I really want to buy a lathe now!

Anyway, here's the latest progress from last night's 'Ewshot Gentlemen's Engineering Club' meeting:

Front stub axle installed:

Top view - shows a 5mm gap between the top spacer and the wishbone arm. We're hoping this will go away when everything is torqued up (but I'm checking with StewbieC on that one!):

Same stub axle viewed from the front:

The plan now is to video the whole stub axle rebuild process... I bought a cheap anglepoise lamp to allow me to hover a webcam over the workbench, so hopefully it'll be reasonably clear. Let me know if you have suggestions for improvement!

Andy
Karl

Post by Karl »

I don`t know where you did get the greasing interval from, but it is not pre-war technology!
The official MGB workshop manual is calling for 6000 miles or 6 months!
I do it every year pre-season and everything is fine.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Karl wrote:I don`t know where you did get the greasing interval from, but it is not pre-war technology!
The official MGB workshop manual is calling for 6000 miles or 6 months!
I do it every year pre-season and everything is fine.
Well maybe I mis-remembered that. I see this guy is recommending 1500 miles: http://www.mg-cars.org.uk/news/news526.html

But like you say, perhaps that is too much.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

As it's a greasing system I don't think you can do it too often - more than necessary, perhaps, but I can't see how it would hurt. And I vaguely remember somewhere in the past seeing threads on this forum with owners reporting quite dramatic wear in the front suspension, but I think that was principally the MGB front wheel bearings.
the289admin
T289R Forum Admin
T289R Forum Admin

Post by the289admin »

Will be fitting Wilwood midilite calipers - larger than MGB so needed to cut the dust guards down to size slightly.
Made a cardboard template up to work this out.

ImageDust shield template

Seems to fit OK:

ImageDust shield

After painting, the hub, bearings, disk, shims, spacers, disk, oil seal, tab washer, castle nut etc. were all fitted and adjusted for 0.002" end float.

ImageChecking end-float

And fitted to the chassis:

ImageHub and disk on car

ImageHub and disk again

The hub on the other side is not good enough for my liking - the splines look as though it was used with a wheel not done up tight enough. So I rang Orson Equipment who supplied me a new LH hub. Great quality and speedy delivery direct from the manufacturer - and about £10 cheaper than elsewhere. I'd recommend giving them a call:

https://twitter.com/289Register/status/ ... 2040762368

http://www.orson-equipment.co.uk
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I didn't use dustshields on my Hawk. Haven't got them on the 'new' car either - no dustshields on originals.
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

catsx11 wrote:I was going to ask about dust shields, as there are none on my car either.
Did you not buy new hubs?
Is the last photo of the hub you replaced? Because I can see spline marks on the plain back conical face.
Sounds like I shouldn't have bothered with the dust shields! Ho hum.

The last photo is a reclaimed hub - right hand side. There are some slight marks on the conical face, but fairly slight.

It was the splines on the left hand hub that concerned me, which is why I bought a new one. When looking down them, they didn't have an equilateral triangle profile - they were worn on one side. So I bought new from Orson.

Looking at this discussion, reply number 4 has a picture of what I'm talking about: http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,835277

Although this has made me concerned, so now I am considering replacing all my hubs!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

I wouldn't fit new wheels to used splines, or vice versa. I've had countless cars with wires over the last forty years and it is very difficult to tell when the splines are getting worn. Once they start to clunk it's way too late, the wheel centres will be junk too no matter how old they are. Far better to have two new surfaces that can wear together (although obviously the same two splines are very unlikely to encounter each other often if at all!).