289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: 289 build

Post by peterc »

Hi Andrew,
I can confirm that I did not add any trim the column at all.
I assume you mean the section inside the car from where it enters the footwell box up to the dash area. It didn't even occur to me to bother as I don't think any of the cars I have owned have had any trim. Did the original Cobra have it trimmed like the twin central bracing for the cross bar?

Where the column protrudes through the dash it has an Ali tube which supports the VW indicator switch. I can't remember who supplied it but expect it came from Gerry with the column.

I don't have any problems with access to the clutch master cylinder and yes I have changed the fluid last year.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:Did the original Cobra have it trimmed like the twin central bracing for the cross bar?

Nope
Karl

Post by Karl »

With trimming he means cutting it off (shortening it) and yes, I had to do that on the middle part and than filing a groove for the locking bolt.
Karl
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Karl - that's what I meant. Do you recall how much you cut off it? I've taken about 1mm off the end of the upper column, and 2mm from the pinion shaft that comes out of the rack.

Vielen dank!
Andy
Karl

Post by Karl »

Andrew, from memory (10 years ago) Ithnk it was more than 1 - 2 mm. I had the steering rack in place and the column where I wanted it to be. Then you connect the two cardan joints and you get a good idea of the length. Filing the half round was more easy than I expected.
Bitte sehr! Karl
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew sorry for the mis interpretation.
Yes, I think I did trim ( cut off ) a bit of the spline ended intermediate shaft. I have just measured it at approx 430 mm so hopefully that gives you a starting point. It still sticks through the respective joints. More on the lower one which was already notched for the clamp bolt. I seem to remember you can't have it sticking through as much at the upper connection without it binding on the other half of the joint.
As Karl says the filing of the upper notch was not difficult. If you mark where the joint comes to then you can re assemble in the vice to then file the notch. Hopefully you have a suitable small round file.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Super - thanks Peter. The lower UJ is almost straight, but the upper makes about a 35 degree turn, so I guess that's why there's more binding potential at the upper end...
Andy
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Just remembered that I bonded in a tube through the footbox wall to help support the end of the upper tube. I thought that otherwise the thin fibreglass was doing too much work.
Peter C
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

peterc wrote:Just remembered that I bonded in a tube through the footbox wall to help support the end of the upper tube. I thought that otherwise the thin fibreglass was doing too much work.
Peter C
Originally there was a bracket that hung inside the footbox, bolted through the bracing tube above the footbox. On my Hawk I made up a welded tubular steel support bolted through the front face of the footbox instead, using an MGB grommet around the outer column.
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Can't believe I read that.
Roger admitting to fitting a bracket that wasn't on the original car.
Good idea though and probably stronger than my setup.
Peter C