289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 slabside build

Post by amulheirn »

We bolted the springs to the axle successfully last night, which is good. Flushed with success, we tried to fit the front eye of the spring in the chassis, only to find that it's very snug, and the bolt that needs to go through both is even snugger. So some removal of paint in the hole is probably in order.
springs-attached.JPG
springs-attached-2.JPG
Very pleased indeed to see my new wheels with Blockley tyres actually on - even if temporarily:
axle-in-place.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn »

More progress - we did the messy job of wrapping the springs with OGL and Denso tape. Looks quite nice, I think - but you definitely need gloves:

ImageDenso tape 1 by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr

ImageDenso tape 2 by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr

ImageDenso Tape 3 by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

The result of that was half a rolling chassis (or maybe a very expensive wheelbarrow):

ImageHalf a rolling chassis by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr

I trial fitted Gerry's rear damper upgrade for the MGB dampers. Most upgrade kits like this from Gaz come with a special plate that fits over where the MGB damper fitted, providing an attachment point for the top of the damper, and the Hawk manual says to fit a plate there too. However, later chassis have this attachment point built-in, so no plate is needed - you can see a black boss sticking out at the top in this photo:

ImageRear damper 2 by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr

And here's the lower attachment point:

ImageRear damper 1 by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr

The last bit of work last night was to dismantle the front stub axle so it can be cleaned and rebuilt as necessary:

ImageFront stub axle dismantle by Andrew Mulheirn, on Flickr
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Fantastic, Andrew. Really looking good!

My MOT mate this morning nearly had a personal fluid accident when he saw the front transverse leafspring sitting in front of the water pump. He commented that the last vehicle he saw one on was an HA Viva van*... bet they weren't wrapped in tape, though

*You know you're in real basic territory when the passenger's seat was an option
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Your experiences of how Gerry has adapted and modified the chassis design in these details just goes to reinforce my opinion of what a cracking good car the Hawk 289 is. I won't say any more because I'll start waxing hugely lyrical yet again about the quality of the kit, and probably doubting my decisions to take on a much more difficult car to maintain, use routinely and (probably above all) leave the damn thing anywhere without panicking about it.

Advert over, no relation or payoffs received
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks! I was quite pleased with the result. Just got the nagging feeling I could have whacked on a bit more OGL, but there you go.

It is a pretty good kit really. Only a few niggles about things missing from the instructions, but figuring out these things is part of the enjoyment really. Gerry has patiently answered all my questions, as has Dudley at Talon who is standing in for Gerry at the moment. Pretty pleased with my choice for a first-time builder.
StewbieC
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by StewbieC »

You are doing a sterling job and it will be an excellent example once finished. Well done!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Thanks Stu! We were in the garage again last night trying to figure out the Hawk/Hoyle front suspension, and finding ourselves confused having been given too many nuts/bolts/washers in some cases, and too few one case.

I think we figured it out mostly, but after we finished I found your very helpful PDF on the upgrade you did. Thanks for that - I wish I'd found it earlier, but it has confirmed a few things for me. Particularly the large number of big washers that were supplied: the build manual doesn't make it clear that they're for castor adjustment, so you're left scratching your head about where they are all supposed to go.

A.
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

amulheirn wrote:...Particularly the large number of big washers that were supplied: the build manual doesn't make it clear that they're for castor adjustment, so you're left scratching your head about where they are all supposed to go.

A.
Not sure about this castor adjustment. I remember measuring the castor on my Hawk, and found it was at 7°, which is quite a lot and is the stock figure for both an MGB and an original 289. The figure dates back to crossplies being original fitment on the MGB and as a hangover from the Ace on the 289. My steering was slightly on the heavy side so I looked into adjusting it - but at 7° the Hawk/Hoyle arrangement is set at the minimum. Further adjustment makes it even more, IIRC. Whatever the facts of it, I do remember adjusting as far as I could and checking again, getting a reading of 7° with Dunlop camber/caster gauge on turntables. It wasn't a problem to live with, I was just fiddling, really.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I have to admit I don't know much about all this Roger - do you have any suggested reading on steering geometry? I'm reading Tom Denton's Automotive Technician Training, but castor and related subjects is only lightly covered.