289 build

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Re: 289 build

Post by amulheirn »

Roger King wrote:I wouldn't fit new wheels to used splines, or vice versa. I've had countless cars with wires over the last forty years and it is very difficult to tell when the splines are getting worn. Once they start to clunk it's way too late, the wheel centres will be junk too no matter how old they are. Far better to have two new surfaces that can wear together (although obviously the same two splines are very unlikely to encounter each other often if at all!).
Thanks Roger - I see your point. I think I may be buying a few more hubs then!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Damn it. And I just got back from the dentist £280 lighter too. Feeling a bit financially battered today!
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

amulheirn wrote:Damn it. And I just got back from the dentist £280 lighter too. Feeling a bit financially battered today!
That's how Roger can afford his cars. :D
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

clive wrote:
amulheirn wrote:Damn it. And I just got back from the dentist £280 lighter too. Feeling a bit financially battered today!
That's how Roger can afford his cars. :D
Ha! You forget, I only ever worked in the NHS and anyway I've retired now. £280 is at least partially private work, if not entirely.
I can afford (and that's the subject of some debate at the moment, due to said retirement) my cars because I have an extremely understanding wife. And believe it or not, she's Scottish.
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

I just put a video together on replacing bushes in MGB stub axles:

https://youtu.be/q-gdjnCpldI
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Andrew.
I notice from an earlier report that you have your front springs in position.
Noting that you intend to run with a Ford lump can I ask what Spring ing rate you have.
An early change on my car was to change down to 250lbs as I have a lighter Rover lump. Now having run out of height adjustment Gerry has sold me 325lbs which I find too hard despite reducing the shockers to 1 click and tyres down to 25psi
Reading the for sale section I noted that the Yellow Peril's spec quoted 250 lbs and that also has a 302 lump.
I am thinking that maybe 275lbs x 9" would better but it would be good to compare with others.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Peter -

Just catching up with a backlog of communications here! Sorry for not replying earlier. I'll check tonight and see what I've been supplied - I bought a Gaz kit directly from Gerry who knew it would be a 302 engine.
Regards, Andrew
peterc
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by peterc »

Thanks Andrew
I have today discovered that my 1998 supplied tubular wishbones for an FIA are not the same dimensions as for the more recent FIA's. Probably due to the increase in their wheel width but the body width remaining the same. This gives a different mounting radius for the shocker and therefore makes the spring rating different. As you will be using narrower wire wheels on your slab side the wishbones could potentially be different again thus trying to compare spring rates is worthless without the complete suspension geometry.
I'll let you know the out come of discussions with a spring supplier that I am visiting tomorrow.
Peter C
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Just finishing rebuilding the engine.

I wanted to put an uprated roller cam in there, but the clearance between valves and pistons was insufficient. Since I'd had the pistons, crank, flywheel, conrods and so on balanced by Bassetdown Balancing, I decided to go back to the standard cam. But of course by that time, half the engine's apart so it feels like a new rebuild! At least it was a good opportunity to confirm that there's no scoring on cylinder bores and that the bottom end was still tight.

New heads are RHS Pro Action, with Comp Cams Magnum roller-tip rockers. The block has now gone black, as per original MkII cars: