Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
David Large

Re: Anti-tramp Bars & Panhard Rod

Post by David Large »

I ordered my Panhard rod from Gerry in January this year, he is bringing it to Silverstone this weekend.

David
David Large
Bald surfer with a BRA 289, Porsche 968 Coupe and a Radical PR6!
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Large

Post by David Large »

I got my Panhard rod from Gerry at Silverstone. It has been fitted this week and I am due to collect the car this afternoon (weather permitting). In the past few weeks I have had all of the suspension bushes changed to polybushes (except the front end of the leaf springs which I replaced with standard MGB bushes) and the anti tramp bars have been on the car for 25 years. I am hoping that I will find a difference but I have driven it for 26 years without a panhard rod and I don't think I expect much change. A friend in the club when I told him of my plans said "I fitted a panhard rod to my car but the ride and handling deteriorated so I took it off - you could have had that one"!

David
David Large
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

If a Panhard rod is not fitted correctly then yes it will cause problems, if installed well then I can not see how it could possibly be worse than having a car with leaf springs with no lateral location.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
David Large

Post by David Large »

I did not say it would be worse, I said I don't expect a big change.

David
David Large
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

Your friend said the ride and handling deteriorated, which I think means it got worse. ;)

Paul
CobStang

Post by CobStang »

Thank you for clarifying Paul, I did not feel the need to quote the relevant section, but in hindsight maybe I should have.
Early B.R.A. Warmed 3.9 Rover, 5 sp, 3.07 rear, Fully adjustable front suspension with AVO coilovers, 4 link rear suspension AVO coilovers and Panhard bar, Big 2 pot front calipers, rear discs, servo'd, adjustable front / rear bias, scruffy paint job !
David Large

Post by David Large »

PaulB wrote:Your friend said the ride and handling deteriorated, which I think means it got worse. ;)

Paul
Fair point!

David
David Large
David Large

Post by David Large »

Well I have tried the Panhard rod in normal road conditions and it does feel a bit stiffer and better located. In the next couple of months I will take it on a track to try it a bit harder. The car seems to roll a bit less too.
At the moment I am checking the car over with an eye on the Italy trip, trying to cure irritating minor rattles and squeaks, improving storage options in the car etc etc.
David
David Large
Paul Blore

Post by Paul Blore »

A roof rack ?? :)