project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

project insanity

Post by agnoraan »

Here's a few photos of a 289 I found in my front garden today. It doesn't know it's a 289 yet :lol:

cheers.....Nige
Dave Woodward
T289R Member
T289R Member

Re: project insanity

Post by Dave Woodward »

Is that a Pilgrim Sumo body??

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Hours of fun for all the family :)

Dave.

Post by Migge »

Pilgrim
Special customized BRA289
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Migge wrote:Pilgrim
Not for much longer :wink:

cheers..Nige
Migge

Post by Migge »

So at first to change all body modifications and then bring the chassis under the shell.
Special customized BRA289
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Migge wrote:So at first to change all body modifications and then bring the chassis under the shell.
Hi Migge, that's pretty much about it :) .It's far easier to work on the bare shell than to have it fixed to a chassis. This way I can just turn it upside down & do the fibreglass repairs from the inside, which will save a lot of time in not having so many repairs on the outside.

I was originally offered a loan of a 289 slabside via Robin (oldboyracer) to use as a buck to make my aluminium body. After a lot of consideration I thought it might be better to buy a shell & cut & shut that to get the final shape that I wanted. This will then be used as the buck to form the aluminium body & the buck can then be sold on to recoup some of the cost outlayed. The buck will ultimately be finished to a high standard & would be ready for paint.

Because I wanted an ali body and I was unable to purchase a 289 FIA style shell, or a 39 PH shell on its own to use as the buck, it made sense to me at least, to go this route. I know that a lot of people don't like the Pilgrim, but the cost was right & there won't be much Pilgrim DNA left in it by the time it's finished. The actual moulding of it is surprisingly good quality though compared to some of the other shells I've been to see.

The body style that I'm going to replicate is a cross between CS 2131 and CSX 2130, taking the styling cues from each that I like. Once the body modifications are done, I'll then make a start on the chassis. This will be a Mk111 with Jag rear, jag front uprights & once it's through IVA, it will have tubular A arms & rear axle locators fitted. I'll be using the chassis plans that Migge forwarded to me (Thanks ever so much for that :D ) but there will be some modifications to them here & there, as needs be. The engine will be a 302 stroked to 347 fitted with downdraughts, backed up by a 5 speed trans.

So, that's where I am at the moment. I'd also like to thank Alan (catsx11) for sending me a template of his front grille & for giving me some base measurements to go from. Before I can start in earnest, I have to finish off my Messerschmitt that I'm getting prepped for paint. Once that's out of the way I can devote more time to the Cobra project

cheers...Nige
clive
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by clive »

:shock: Don't tell Migge you're building a Messerschmitt. He'll think we're at war again! :roll:
Cheers, Clive.

(If I'm not here I'm in my workshop or on the golf course!)
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

Surely the next project should be one of those small Triumph sportscars?
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

clive wrote::shock: Don't tell Migge you're building a Messerschmitt. He'll think we're at war again! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The paper templates that Alan sent to me arrived today, so I thought I'd just knock up a quick card template just to see how far out the grille is on the 427 compared to the 289. Surprisingly, it's not far out at all. I know that the bonnet line is lower on the 427 but I was expecting the grilles to be miles different. it looks as if i can get away with just cutting the bottom off the grille, whilst taking out the lower grille & valance & just make a new front valance for it, which should be straight forward enough as there's not many curves to replicate.

i'm not going to have the lower grille the same as on the FIA's, instead it will be like this with a rolled edge

Just need to find a bit of spare time to cut it all about :wink:

cheers...Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:Surely the next project should be one of those small Triumph sportscars?
What a Herald?? :wink: :lol: I really don't like Spitfires, horrible things to work on

cheers....Nige