project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
Paul Blore

Re: project insanity

Post by Paul Blore »

agnoraan wrote: he offered to strip the car down ...
...with a gas axe! :wink: :lol:
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

PaulB wrote:
:lol: :lol: And he still managed to cut himself & get metal in his eye, but at least it's out. I don't think I'll ask him to strip it down though :wink:

cheers..Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:
PaulB wrote:
:lol: :lol: And he still managed to cut himself & get metal in his eye, but at least it's out. I don't think I'll ask him to strip it down though :wink:

cheers..Nige
Do you know how A&E get ferrous particles out of eyes? With a powerful magnet. Not so good if the piece has worked its way around the back.

I've been in often to get bits of manky amalgam out, pre-safety specs days, but that's a bit trickier 'cos it ain't magnetic.

Nige, are you sticking with the Jag 'wishbones', or fabricating something proper?
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Do you know how A&E get ferrous particles out of eyes? With a powerful magnet. Not so good if the piece has worked its way around the back.

I've been in often to get bits of manky amalgam out, pre-safety specs days, but that's a bit trickier 'cos it ain't magnetic.

Nige, are you sticking with the Jag 'wishbones', or fabricating something proper?[/quote]

Ive been to A &E a number of time over the years to get metal out of my eye. The last time they put my head in a clamp & poured in a yellow dye, it was like wearing yellow sunglasses as everything was yellow. They then found the metal particle, but my eye had healed over the top of it, so they couldn't just lift it out. They gave my eye an anesthetic & then proceeded to cut my eye with a scalpel to get the metal out. I didn't feel a thing, but it's very unnerving to see someone putting a scalpel to your eye :cry:

I'm trying to find out whether the "A" arms are perceived to be a part of the suspension/axle for the IVA test. I spoke to VOSA & they said it was up to the DVLA when it comes time to register it. I've spoken to various "bodies" but no-one can give a definitive answer. The way I see it is that the upright is called a stub axle & the rear end is an axle as well, so the A arms shouldn't be a part of it.

It will have tubular arms at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, as I'd rather do it first than last

cheers...Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

The front upright is a kingpin - even with modern balljoint arrangements the measurement is still of 'kingpin inclination'.
The rear upright is a hub carrier.
The stub axle is the bit that the front wheel bearings run on - cast into the kingpin on an MGB-style front suspension, but a separate bolt-into the kingpin true stub axle on an original car or others like the TR6.

I really can't see how any decision like that can be up to the DVLA. All construction and use regulations and definitions etc. are decided by VOSA - DVLA merely do the licensing paperwork. The IVA test is at a VOSA centre, where the whole purpose of the test is to ensure the vehicle has been designed properly and is using properly-designed parts - that's why you should pass IVA if your tyres are bald but have the correct 'E' number. They're checking design, not condition. Most DVLA employees wouldn't know a kingpin or stub axle if it was shoved up where (complete this yourselves at your leisure).
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

As I understand it, you have to apply to the DVLa to get the car registered & give them all of the details re donor parts etc They then send you a form (can't remember the numbers of it off hand) which you take to VOSA testing station for it to go through the IVA test. Vosa are only concerned with compliance to the IVA rules & will issue a pass if it complies. You then have to send off your IVA details to get the car registered. You originally had to send off the IVA details to your local licensing office, who would or could, send someone to inspect it, to ensure that it is what it says it is on the original application for registration ie donor details etc. If happy, they would then issue you with the registration for the car. However, most of the local offices have now closed, so it's hit & miss as to whether they would want to inspect the car after IVA.

Obviously that's as I understand it, but I could have been given duff information as I've never done this before

cheers..Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

agnoraan wrote:... your local licensing office, who would or could, send someone to inspect it, to ensure that it is what it says it is on the original application for registration ie donor details etc. If happy, they would then issue you with the registration for the car....
Nige, for every car I've registered (mostly imported Brit classics from the US, but a couple of kit cars also after their SVAs) all the DVLA inspection has been for is to ensure that the chassis number matches the paperwork. On every single one, an (usually very young and automotively-clueless) employee comes down to the trailer in the car park, I point to the number under the bonnet, they check against the form, go back indoors. Average inspection time approx 20 sec. One girl said, 'Austin Healey? Is that like Aston Martin?' There was certainly no discussion whatsoever regarding components.
But, as you point out, we no longer have local offices, and IVA is presumably different from SVA, so I have no idea what will happen now. I've never heard of them sending someone out - we always had to take the cars to the office. In the early days, as long as it had an MOT (on chassis number only) you could drive it there, with no number plates - that was real fun past the cameras! But for the last few years this changed and you had to trailer it. I hope the car doesn't have to go to Swansea for a 20-sec inspection.

Roger
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:
agnoraan wrote:... your local licensing office, who would or could, send someone to inspect it, to ensure that it is what it says it is on the original application for registration ie donor details etc. If happy, they would then issue you with the registration for the car....
Nige, for every car I've registered (mostly imported Brit classics from the US, but a couple of kit cars also after their SVAs) all the DVLA inspection has been for is to ensure that the chassis number matches the paperwork. On every single one, an (usually very young and automotively-clueless) employee comes down to the trailer in the car park, I point to the number under the bonnet, they check against the form, go back indoors. Average inspection time approx 20 sec. One girl said, 'Austin Healey? Is that like Aston Martin?' There was certainly no discussion whatsoever regarding components.
But, as you point out, we no longer have local offices, and IVA is presumably different from SVA, so I have no idea what will happen now. I've never heard of them sending someone out - we always had to take the cars to the office. In the early days, as long as it had an MOT (on chassis number only) you could drive it there, with no number plates - that was real fun past the cameras! But for the last few years this changed and you had to trailer it. I hope the car doesn't have to go to Swansea for a 20-sec inspection.

Roger
Swansea would be ok as it's only about 40 minutes from me. However, things have changed somewhat today, regarding the build of my car.

I rent out a bungalow I own & had a roofing company there yesterday to repair a leak in the valley of the roof. They've since got back to me this morning saying that the whole roof needs replacing as there are quite a few cracked tiles, the battens are rotten & most of the felt is perforated. Each tile is £6.00 as they're now hard to come by!!. Sooo, it looks like my Cobra build is likely to be compromised for some time. I've bought quite a lot of parts for it already & have stashed stuff over the years ready for the big build

I sold my Camaro to afford me the opportunity to build this car exactly as I wanted to, with an aluminium body. Repairing the roof on the bungalow is going to take a major chunk out of that money. I'm a bit shell shocked at the moment to be honest, just when things start to get underway, something comes along & knocks things sideways. I can afford to build the whole car exactly as I would want it to look & drive, but I wouldn't be able to afford to have the aluminium body & of course I need the body to build the car around GRRRRR!!

I need to take some time out & think things through. I'm still going to collect the parts I need to build this, but I need to re-evaluate everything now.

cheers..Nige
catsx11

Post by catsx11 »

Last edited by catsx11 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

Ditto that! Hope all things are resolved soon... We got your back, mate!
:)
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!