project insanity

Information about builds and rebuilds, post away!
agnoraan

Re: project insanity

Post by agnoraan »

Hi Alan, as much as I would like to say "stuff the roof", I can't do that unfortunately. I saw the state of it yesterday when I went to see how they were getting on with the Valley at the front. It doesn't look good I'm afraid. Yesterdays work cost me £850, but at least I won't have to have it done again when the rest of the roof gets done. The guy doing the work said that it might last a few months or, it could last a year or so, but he couldn't say how much life expectancy was left in it. Either way it's going to need doing. The last thing I need is for it to have a slow leak & ruin all of the loft insulation, ceilings etc. My main worry is that because they've been working on the roof, it may have disturbed something further along.

The tenant that lived there until recently passed away back in January, so I've spent a shed load of money refurbishing the place with new PVC doors, windows etc & gave the whole place a lick of paint with general repairs ready for the new tenants to move in. I don't want to allow things to deteriorate and would rather keep on top of any maintenance as required, it is after all an investment.

It just upsets me to think that it's all systems go to build my dream car & then something like this happens. It could have been worse, but it's still not a good feeling :cry:

cheers...Nige
Last edited by agnoraan on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

nikbj68 wrote:Ditto that! Hope all things are resolved soon... We got your back, mate!
:)
Thanks Nik, I appreciate that, but I just feel really down at the moment after having been so excited about starting work on the car at last. I've had a few parts turn up this week & I was really excited about the fact that things were underway. I've still got quite a bit of stuff ordered to be delivered & odds n ends to collect over the next few weeks, but this has taken the shine off things somewhat.
cheers..Nige
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Well, I'm feeling a little happier today after getting over the initial shock of the cost of the bungalow roof. I've spoken with Mat that's going to be making the aluminium body for me & as Black Adder would say, we have a "cunning plan" :lol: Having read through Colins (OCD) thread about the rebuild of his car,.... it got me thinking.

I've promised myself this car for a long time now & have decided that it has to be built. Mat has agreed to make the peripheral panels such as bonnet, doors & boot lid in aluminium for me & to make the rest of the body panels when the funds are available. So, I'm going to get stuck in & make the chassis & get it to a point where it could be driven. I'll then finish the final modifications to the 'glass shell & if the funds aren't available at that point, fit the 'glass shell to the chassis & paint it, then get it through IVA & use it until the aluminium body can be made. I'm going to build it so that the 'glass shell can be easily removed when the time comes to have the new body made & fitted.

That's the plan, so it's time to get more parts & get this thing underway Woo Hoo :D
cheers..Nige
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

That's not as bad a plan as you might think. To make a really nice, accurate car, you have to make it twice. By using the 'glass body for IVA you can hack it about to make all the necessary additions and modifications you need to pass - lamp height positions, reflectors, side repeaters, no screen at all so no wipers, washers etc. Then revisit it in aluminium to get it 'right' at a later date.
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Roger King wrote:That's not as bad a plan as you might think. To make a really nice, accurate car, you have to make it twice. By using the 'glass body for IVA you can hack it about to make all the necessary additions and modifications you need to pass - lamp height positions, reflectors, side repeaters, no screen at all so no wipers, washers etc. Then revisit it in aluminium to get it 'right' at a later date.
Hi Roger, I'd not thought of it that way to be honest, but it does make very good sense now you come to mention it, now you've made me feel in an even better mood :D

cheers..Nige
nikbj68
T289R Member
T289R Member

Post by nikbj68 »

I hoped you wouldn't have the blues for too long, and as Roger said, your cloud has a silver lining in the form of getting the practicalities sorted then being able to perfect things at your leisure.
Hawk 289 FiA...AT LAST!!!
Roger King

Post by Roger King »

S'wot we're here for Nige...
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

Hi Nige,
I just replaced an entire roof on my house. The old tiles were handmade 'peg' tiles, held on by copper nails, plus a load of non-matching ones from various repairs over the last 150 years. Since it wasn't listed we decided to go for a 'handmade style' modern nib tile. The benefit was twofold:

- the tiles are faster to fit, since only every fifthrow is nailed - keeps the labour cost down (as opposed to peg tiles that have a pair of nails in each)
- I now have ~4000 old handmade peg tiles from the old roof that I can probably sell on - hopefully at a small profit, who knows.

Keep the faith - you'll get the car built it one way or another.

Andrew
agnoraan

Post by agnoraan »

Thanks for the words of advice & encouragement, it's appreciated. I've had some quotes from other companies & they all seem to come out around the same sort of price for labour content. The stickler is that they don't know how many tiles are likely to break when they take them off. I've seen some of them & they appear to be very brittle. I might go for completely new tiles as opposed to trying to reclaim the ones that are on there, as at £6.00 odd a tile it could get costly if a load of them break. They're costing it out to a possibility of 20% breakage. There's not a lot of difference in price between matching the tiles & fitting all new, but the downside is that it might be out of character to the other bungalows there with different new tiles. The roof on this one is like an orange/ochre/terracotta sort of colour which when new looked really nice. The idea was/is to remove the tiles from the rear & fit them to the front so that from the roadside they all look original & then put the newer tiles on the rear of the roof.

Cheers...Nige
amulheirn
T289R Committee
T289R Committee

Post by amulheirn »

That sounds like a good plan. I remember doing all this um-ing and ah-ing about tiles before we took the roof off. At the time I was really worried that making the wrong choice might be a total disaster. I tossed up paying quite a lot extra for real handmade tiles, versus mid-range handmade style. Eventually took the plunge for the latter, and you know what? I've only looked at the new roof about 4 times since we did the work!